Bring a taste of Portugal into your house with this delicious Piri Piri Chicken Salad brought to you by Slimming World USA.
Now the weather is warming up, I am starting to enjoy more and more salads. But when I have a salad, it needs to be filling and have lots of yummy different components, otherwise I find myself feeling hungry again a little while later.
This Piri Piri Chicken Salad has all those lovely components I love. Tender skewers of chicken, seasoned with Piri Piri spices and served with couscous cooked in broth for flavouring, sweet tomatoes, bell peppers and the freshness of lime and mint. It's a delicious salad for a warm summer day.
If you can't source Piri Piri seasoning or want to make your own, a great seasoning to add is one red chilli (deseeded), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of paprika, a little fresh parsley and coriander and mix into a paste with a mortar and pestle. Then rub it into the chicken with the lime juice and salt and black pepper as mentioned in the recipe below.
Make this Piri Piri Chicken Salad the night before to take to work for lunch or if you have a day planned out, how about putting this in a tub to take on a picnic. It would be perfect served hot or cold.
Stumbling across this recipe and new to Slimming World? Why not check out my Slimming World Review - the UK's favourite way to lose weight, which is now in the USA.
INTERESTED IN JOINING SLIMMING WORLD SO YOU CAN ENJOY THESE FABULOUS FOODS WHILE STILL LOSING WEIGHT?
Click here if you are in the USA – Slimming World USA
Click here if you are outside the USA – Slimming World
In the meantime why not give this Piri Piri Chicken Salad a try.
Syn Free Piri Piri Chicken Salad
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is dairy free and Slimming World friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- 1 cup dried couscous
- 1½ cups boiling vegetable broth
- 6 limes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, visible fat removed, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1–1½ tbsp piri piri seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large orange bell peppers, seeded
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- Half a hothouse cucumber, cut into small pieces
- Medium handful of roughly chopped fresh mint
- Juice of 2 lemons
- If you're using bamboo skewers, put them in water to soak.
- Put the couscous in a serving bowl, pour in the broth, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Line a broiler-pan rack or rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Juice 4 of the limes, cut the remaining 2 limes into 4 wedges each. In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the piri piri seasoning, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut 2 of the bell peppers into 1in chunks and set aside. Coarsely chop the remaining bell pepper and add to the couscous.
- On 8 metal or soaked bamboo skewers, thread the chicken, cherry tomatoes and bell pepper chunks, alternating the pieces and dividing them equally. Add a lime wedge to each skewer. Arrange the skewers on the lined pan.
- Broil 4–6in from the heat source for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are starting to soften and char lightly.
- With a fork, fluff the couscous. Add the diced tomatoes, cucumber, mint, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve the couscous salad with the chickenskewers.
This recipe is provided and copyrighted by Slimming World.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.