Savoury Rice - An easy one pot recipe with diced chicken breast, vegetables, long grain rice that is a delicious alternative to basic cooked rice and perfect as a main dish or side.
Savoury Rice with Chicken and Vegetables
Sometimes when we went something like a rice dish that is full of flavour, we rely far too often on processed and packaged items wrongly assuming they are quicker and easy to cook.
But you can actually create some of these things yourself from scratch and it often doesn't take much more time/
Tips for quick and easy cooking
When you have some spare time on your hands and know you have a few things you are cooking this week, diced and prep your vegetables in advance, most vegetables that are diced up in advance will keep well in a tub for a few days in the fridge.
Or you can even freeze in handy portion sizes for recipes in tubs of freezer ziplock bags.
There are even some freezer bags of diced vegetables you can buy at the grocery story to keep in your freezer, for those moments when you want to add some healthy vegetables to a meal, but are exhausted after a day at work and really do not feel like standing there and chopping up vegetables.
Couple of things to bear in mind though when buying these, is to check the ingredients, make sure there is nothing calorific added like oil, sugar, sauce etc.
Vegetables for Savoury Rice
In this recipe I use onions, the usual ginger and garlic, and then some carrots, celery, peppers and spring onion and then some sweetcorn. These are vegetables I have on hand pretty much every week and are a great combination to add to this savoury rice recipe to bulk it out.
But really any vegetables work well in this dish.
Some other great vegetables are:
Chopped Baby Corn
Peas (not actually a vegetable, these are more a legume, but a great addition all the same)
Small Broccoli Florets
Shredded Vegetables (like cabbage, kale etc).
The thing to be careful with thought when you adjust any ingredient in a recipe is to watch the quantity as it can affect the overall final result. If you do replace on vegetable with another, just try to keep it to the same amounts.
Protein in Savoury Rice
I always try to add some kind of protein to whatever I am making, especially if its being enjoyed as a main meal. Protein has great filling power that will keep you fuller for longer.
If you often find yourself really hungry in between meals, look at what you are eating meal times, is there enough protein included with a healthy portion of vegetables?
For the protein in this savoury rice, I went for some diced chicken breast, but some other great options instead are:
- Shrimp or Prawns
- or for a vegetarian option try some beans or chickpeas
Sauce to pair with savoury rice
Love a sauce with your rice? Then why not make up some of this Chip Shop Curry Sauce to spoon over the top, it's delicious!!!
More Rice Recipes
Looking for some other rice recipes to enjoy? Check out these:
- Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls
- Nasi Goreng – Indonesian Rice
- Red Pepper and Coriander Rice
- Sweet Corn Pilau Rice
- Egg Fried Rice
- Coconut Chicken Curry Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash Rice
- Zucchini and Rice Pilau
- Mexican Rice
- Lime and Coriander Rice
- Spicy Beef, Beans and Rice
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Mixed Vegetable Rice
- Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowl
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
- 150g of uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, diced small
- 1.5 teaspoons of paprika (not smoked)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 small carrot, diced small
- 1 stalk of celery celery, diced small
- ½ red pepper, diced small
- ½ green pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon of freshly grated ginger root
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) of sweetcorn, canned
- 1 cup (190g) of long grain rice, rinsed
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray
- Add the chicken, paprika and a pinch of salt and black pepper, fry until browned, remove and set aside.
- Spray the pan with a little more spray oil.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and peppers and fry to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a further minute.
- Add in the toasted sesame oil, dark soy sauce and rice and mix to coat.
- Add back in the chicken and also add in the sweetcorn
- Pour in the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed approx 10 minutes. Turn off heat, but leave with lid on for an additional 10 minutes (do not remove lid or touch in this time as the steam trapped underneath will continue to cook the rice to perfection.
- Then remove lid and stir in the chopped spring onions.
- Taste and season with some salt and black pepper if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 0.5 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 5 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 5 per serving
- Gluten Free - replace the dark soy sauce with gluten free soy sauce and use gluten free stock
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 3.1gSaturated Fat 0.6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 35mgSodium 755mgCarbohydrates 48.3gFiber 2.2gSugar 3.7gProtein 14.5g