When it's asparagus season, this is my favorite dish to make - Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Lemony tender chicken thighs in a sweet sauce with the lovely flavour of asparagus.
Best of all this dish is gluten and dairy free and also suitable for anyone who is on Whole30 or a Paleo diet.
A variety of different sides will compliment this dish, from rice, to potatoes or even pasta.
If you are looking for inspiration for sides, then check out my SIDE DISHES
I like to serve with crisp roast potatoes, to mop up all the lovely flavour of the sauce.
Chicken and Asparagus Bake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, whole30 and Weight Watchers friendly
WW Smart Points - 2
- 6 skinless boneless chicken thighs, sliced into smaller pieces
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 400g (14oz )of asparagus, chopped
- 1.25 cups (300ml) of hot chicken stock
- zest of a lemon
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder, tapioca starch or cornstarch
- low calorie spray
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c of 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan with low calorie spray and fry the onions till softened
- Add the chicken thighs and garlic and continue to fry until lightly golden.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish along with the asparagus and mix
- Mix the arrowroot with a little cold water to make a paste and give it a stir, stir this into the hot chicken stock and pour over the chicken and asparagus.
- Add the zest of a lemon over the top.
- Transfer to oven and bake for approx 30 mins.
- Serve with your choice of sides
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 8.1gSaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 10.7gFiber 3.2gSugar 4.3gProtein 32.9g
Janita Cook says
Why is this called chicken, mushroom and asparagus bake when there's no mention of mushrooms in the recipe?
Janita Cook says
Oh right, I love mushrooms so would probably use them anyway.
It's says it's a sweet sauce, but there is only lemon juice and no sweetener in the sauce! Is this correct please?
Shevy (Slimming Eats) says
Yes it is correct. The slight natural sweetness comes from the asparagus when combined with huge other ingredients