Crustless Asparagus and Bacon Quiche - a perfect recipe for lunches and picnics using fresh asparagus, with the delicious addition of smokey bacon and melted cheesy goodness.
Yummy Crustless Quiche
Gotta love a quiche, right? But they can pack quite a few calories even for a small slice with all that yummy pastry base and when you are trying to be good you sometimes want a healthier option.
That's where a crustless quiche is perfect. All the great filling part of a traditional quiche but without the pastry. But isn't that just an omelette I hear you say? Well not really, as a crustless quiche isn't just eggs, it's eggs mixed with other ingredients to make a filling similar to a regular quiche and baked in the oven instead of in a pan on a stove.
Asparagus and Bacon Quiche
When asparagus is in season, it's can be super cheap here in Canada for a large bunch, so I always grab a few bunches whenever I see it on sale. It's a delicious vegetable with a unique flavour.
One of my favourite things to pair some asparagus with is bacon, it's just that yummy smokey flavour I think. They go amazingly well together, especially when you add in some cheese.
Cottage Cheese in Crustless Quiche
Now I know what some of you are thinking as soon as you see the word Cottage Cheese. Ewww, just no!!. But trust me when I say you really will not even know there is cottage cheese in this recipe.
For this crustless quiche, we blend the cottage cheese with the eggs, so you don't have those curds which is the thing that puts most people off. Give it a try and I am sure you will be converted.
You could even use some of the flavoured cottage cheese options to bring this to a whole other level if you prefer.
Can I use Quark instead of Cottage Cheese?
If you really can't get past your aversion to cottage cheese, then yes, by all means, use quark, they are actually a similar flavour, so won't make too much a difference. Cottage cheese tends to be a little bit less sour though, which I prefer in the crustless quiche recipe.
Cheese for Crustless Quiche
In this Crustless Asparagus and Bacon Quiche, I use two different cheese, parmesan and cheddar. I prefer to use those, because they add amazing flavours to the quiche.
Here in Canada our cheddar, however, tends to be orange, rather than the white cheddar you are used to in the UK. I love Balderson cheddar here in Canada. Whatever cheddar you choose to use, go for mature as it has much more flavour.
If you want the orange colour in a cheese, go for Red Leicester instead of white cheddar, if that is the only option available to you.
You will also notice I don't use reduced-fat cheese. Why? I just find it doesn't melt as well as regular cheese due to the less fat content. Yes it's a smaller amount, but it's enough to add that flavour and cheesy goodness. Swap for reduced fat if you prefer and if that is all you like to buy, just be aware that it may not melt as well.
Sides for Crustless Asparagus and Bacon Quiche
I like to go for a simple salad with a slice of this crustless quiche. I usually have it for lunch or will bake it in the summer to take on picnics etc.
Some of my favourite salad items are:
- Baby greens
- Crisp Lettuce
and if you want a nice dressing, then my low syn ranch dressing is yummy, especially with this quiche.
More Crustless Quiche Recipes
Did you enjoy this recipe and want some other crustless quiche combinations? Check out these:
- CRUSTLESS ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND RED PEPPER QUICHE
- BREAKFAST QUICHE
- ARTICHOKE BACON PARMESAN CRUSTLESS QUICHE
- CRUSTLESS BACON LEEK AND SWEET POTATO QUICHE
- HAM AND BROCCOLI QUICHE
- SALMON AND BROCCOLI QUICHE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
The recipe was originally created on the 14 June 2012 and update on the 24 June 2020
- 500g (17.5oz) of asparagus spears, chopped up
- 4 slices of lean smoked back bacon (fat removed)
- 1 onion, diced
- 350g (12.5oz) of fat-free cottage cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 30g of Parmesan Cheese (1 HEa's), grated
- 120g of Cheddar Cheese or Red Leicester (4xHEa's), grated
- Cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c FAN, 400f or gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan over medium-high heat with some cooking oil spray add the onion and bacon and cook until slightly golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the asparagus to the frying pan, cover with a little water, then place a lid on top and steam for approx 4 mins.
- To a food processor, add the parmesan, cottage cheese and eggs and blend until smooth. Then season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Grease a quiche dish with some cooking oil spray.
- Add in the bacon, asparagus and onion mixture. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Pour in the cottage cheese/egg mix and using a wooden spoon, give it a little stir just to combine evenly combine the ingredients.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 30-45 mins, the top should be golden.
- Allow to cool slightly in dish, then slice and serve
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 8 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 5 per serving
- Gluten Free - ensure cottage cheese is gluten freee
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 296Total Fat 15.1gSaturated Fat 8.2gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 224mgSodium 731mgCarbohydrates 11.5gFiber 2.4gSugar 5.9gProtein 29.4g