Dig in and enjoy a bowl of this delicious Syn Free Asparagus Soup which feels indulgent and creamy but is made from the simplest of ingredients.
One of my favourite soups of all time has got to be cream of asparagus soup. In fact just talking about it right now is making me crave a bowl.
There is just something super comforting about asparagus soup, mainly because it brings back many childhood memories for me.
Do you remember the little packets of powdered cream of asparagus soups you use to get, that came with a little sachet of croutons? Actually you probably can still get those now, I've never seen this on this side of the Atlantic however and besides, I prefer to make my soups from scratch using healthy fresh vegetables.
You truly will not believe how simple the ingredients in this soup are, yet it comes packed with flavour. It's not always true that for a recipe to be delicious it has to have heaps of ingredients, sometimes too many ingredients can overpower and confuse a recipe and that is certainly not the case here.
A subtle sweetness from the asparagus paired with onions and some thyme is pretty much the only flavours you need in this Asparagus Soup.
Serve it just as it is, or add a bit of protein, so many different choices would go perfectly on the top of this, from sauteed sausage to poached eggs or my favourite some cooked seasoned chicken. If you have a healthy extra b spare you could even go for some of this Gluten-Free Soda Bread - heavenly!!
Love soup recipes like this Asparagus Soup? Check out some of these:
- Syn Free Chicken Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Syn Free Lemony Chicken Zucchini Rice Soup
- Syn Free Tuscan Chicken and White Bean Soup
- Syn Free Carrot and Butter Bean Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup
- Syn Free Spicy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Syn Free Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Spicy Roasted Parsnip and Sweet Potato Soup
- Syn Free Spicy Carrot and Lentil Soup
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 850 delicious Slimming World Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients and syn value etc.
What kitchen items do I need to make this Syn Free Asparagus Soup?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Dutch oven or large saucepan
- Blender or Immersion Stick Blender
- 600g of asparagus spears (chopped), tough ends broken off
- 4 cups (960ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- some fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to season
- cooking oil spray
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium heat with some cooking oil spray
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add some fresh thyme and asparagus
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer until Asparagus is tender (approx 15 mins).
- Remove half the mixture and blend, return to the pan, stir and just simmer for a further few mins till creamy.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, paleo, Whole30, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- Original/SP - syn free per serving
- Green/Vegetarian - syn free per serving (choose veggie options for toppings)
- WW Smart Points - 0 per serving
*suitable for freezing.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 55Total Fat 0.4gSaturated Fat 0.1gSodium 573mgCarbohydrates 10.3gFiber 3.7gSugar 5gProtein 4.8g