Tasty Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowl - the flavours in this yummy dish will be a hit for the entire family.
How many Calories in Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
This recipe serves 4 people and is 460 calories per serving for a delicious filling meal that doesn't compromise on flavour, doesn't feel like diet food and is suitable for the whole family.
There are lots more recipes around this calorie value in my 400-500 calorie recipes
If you are using these recipes as part of a calorie controlled diet or healthy eating plan, you can calculate your daily calories by using a calorie calculator, as this will vary per individual depending on various factors.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
for this easy Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl you need the following ingredients.
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- boneless skinless chicken thigh
- soy sauce - I used half dark and half light
- ground ginger
- garlic powder/granules
- onion powder/granules
- maple syrup
- rice vinegar
- spring onions (green onions/scallions)
- cooked chilled long grain rice
- sesame oil
- cooking oil spray
See the recipe card for full quantities.
Once all the ingredients are prepared, you can get ready to make this easy recipe.
What is Teriyaki?
So what exactly is teriyaki? Teriyaki is a Japanese style of cooking of meat or fish that is grilled or broiled with a delicious sauce that consists of soy sauce, sake (or mirin), sugar, ginger and garlic.
Although you will find many variations on the sauce. In fact, probably no sauce is the same, it can vary so much in quantities of ingredients.
Sake or Mirin which is usually a main part to the sauce can sometimes be hard to obtain, usually only found at specialist Asian stores, so I just use Maple Syrup for the sweet part of the sauce or if you don't have maple syrup you can always use honey.
The rest of the components are ingredients most will have in their store cupboard, so pretty simple.
Instead of cooking the chicken on its own like it would come if you ordered Teriyaki Chicken from a takeaway. For this Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowl, I like to combine everything all in one pan.
It means the rice also gets coated in those amazing teriyaki sauce flavours and resembles a fried rice dish - Yummy!!!
Can I swap the protein?
Don't fancy chicken? Feel free to use beef, pork or shrimp. You could even skip the protein altogether and just keep it as a Teriyaki Flavoured Vegetable Fried Rice as it's packed with plenty of veggies or add in some tofu or meat replacement strips to add some vegetarian protein.
Best Rice For Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
For this recipe I basic long grain white rice, it doesn't go too sticky like jasmine rice and absorbs more of the flavouring from the sauce which I find basmati rice doesn't tend to do so well.
Another rice I sometimes like to use for this is Japanese short grain or medium grain rice which is a sushi type rice, it can be sticky like jasmine rice, but tends to hold it's shape well and is great for fried rice dishes. My favourite brand is Kokuho Rose or Nishiki
More Rice Recipes
Looking for some more rice recipes to try? Check out these:
- PRAWN AND VEGETABLE PILAF
- ONE POT SOUTHERN HOPPIN JOHN
- SYN FREE ONE POT NANDO’S PERI PERI RICE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CHEDDAR RICE
- ORANGE GINGER CHICKEN FRIED RICE
- NASI GORENG – INDONESIAN RICE
- RED PEPPER AND CORIANDER RICE
- COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY RICE
- CHICKEN, RED PEPPER AND SWEETCORN RISOTTO
- SPICY BEEF, BEANS AND RICE
- CHICKEN FRIED RICE
or if you would like more recipe ideas or sides to make with this recipe - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more..
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ½ courgette, diced
- 180g (6oz) of uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1.5 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ cup (60ml) of water
- 2 spring onions roughly chopped
- 250g (9oz) of cooked and chilled long grain rice (day old is best)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- cooking oil spray
- Slice the chicken thighs into small bite size pieces.
- Place in a bowl and cover with the ginger, garlic powder and onion powder, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, and maple syrup and stir to coat.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray
- Add the chicken with the marinade and simmer until sauce reduces and thickens and chicken is cooked through, remove from pan and set aside
- Wipe pan clean.
- Spray with more cooking oil spray.
- Add all the vegetables and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add the rice and mix to combine.
- Make a space in the centre and add the chicken with the sauce back to the pan and start stirring to evenly mix everything together. Add in the sesame oil and toss to coat.
- Serve in bowls and top with chopped spring onion.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs: due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
- Gluten Free Friendly - use gluten free soy sauce
- Dairy Free Friendly
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 460Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 110mgSodium 786mgCarbohydrates 70gFiber 4gSugar 20gProtein 24g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.