Lovely flavours come together in this Chicken, Red Pepper and Sweetcorn Risotto
Risotto is a great dish for busy days, all cooked in one pot, with less cleaning up afterwards. You can add anything into the pan within reason, so is great for using up veg that needs to be gone.
Today was one of those busy days when a dish like this just had to be made.
Family visiting from the UK and we were out most of the day. By the time we got back it was pretty late and everyone was hungry.
But a route around in the fridge and cupboards for what we had and grabbing some ingredients - risotto seemed like the perfect dish.
When I have moments like that where I need to come up with a meal pretty quickly. I always look for what protein I have that I can use, and then what vegetables, as you have to get that speed in of course, right? Lastly if we are having it, is then the carb/starch side to the dish. Of course if on a SP day I generally avoid the latter part.
So with chicken, red pepper, sweetcorn, zucchini, arborio rice and a few other ingredients in hand, I quickly set to work on the risotto.
The first step I always get on the go is my broth/stock. Get that made up first and simmering away on a low heat on the side, and it is ready to ladle into your risotto as you get all the other ingredients on the go.
Usually I will add cheese of some sort to my risotto at the end to give it a lovely creaminess. Totally syn free if you use your Healthy Extra A too, but today I had no healthy extra's left, so this Chicken, Red Pepper and Sweetcorn risotto lacks any creaminess, but still tastes amazing, with the lovely sweet and spicy kick from the Sweet Chilli Sauce.
Okay, okay Sweet Chilli Sauce seems like an odd choice for a risotto, but don't knock it till you try it, it's a perfect combination with all the other ingredients I added and gives such a lovely flavour to the risotto.
You could actually swap out the chicken in this too and add some prawn (shrimp) instead or hell, why not add both.
Love risotto and want some other recipes to try? Check out these:
- Spicy Farro Risotto
- Risotto Patties
- Fennel and Sweet Cipollini Onion Risotto
- Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper, Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto with Crumbled Feta
- Syn Free Roasted Butternut Squash and Tomato Risotto
- Spicy Prawn and Vegetable Risotto
- Mushroom Risotto
- Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
or check out my FULL RECIPE INDEX for over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes
Why not give this fuss free easy Chicken, Red Pepper and Sweetcorn Risotto a try?
- 4 chicken thighs, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of arborio rice
- 1 cup (120ml) of frozen sweetcorn
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) of chicken stock
- ½ tsp of paprika
- salt and black pepper
- freshly chopped coriander
- 4 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce (6 syns)
- spray oil
- Add the stock to a small saucepan and leave it simmering on a low heat.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and fry for about 5 mins until softened.
- Add the chicken pieces and paprika and continue to cook until lightly golden.
- Add the zucchini, arborio rice, sweet corn and sweet chilli sauce, season with a little salt and black pepper and stir to evenly coat.
- Then start adding a few ladles of the stock at a time, when that has been absorbed, continue to add a little more and repeat this process, until stock is absorbed and rice is al dente. Approx 15 minutes
- Stir through some chopped fresh coriander and serve and enjoy!!
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 459Total Fat 3.4gSaturated Fat 0.8gSodium 376mgCarbohydrates 80.7gFiber 3.8gSugar 12.1gProtein 25.1g