Spicy Farro Risotto - a delicious one-pot simple spicy and hearty risotto using the lovely flavour of nutty farro in place of rice.
I love farro, it has such a lovely texture and is great in risotto or salad type dishes.
It's a delicious whole grain that is both packed with protein and fibre, so a great alternative to rice and other grains.
Handy to always have a jar of it stored in my pantry along with all my other dried beans, pulses etc. As it is such a versatile ingredient.
Where to Buy Farro
Bob Mills is the brand I tend to prefer to buy here in Canada, but that one may be hard to source in the UK, so use the brand available to you.
Check wholefoods or health stores local to you or you can also source Farro online.
Is Farro Gluten-Free?
Unfortunately, farro is a type of wheat so is not gluten-free.
Can I substitute Farro for another ingredient?
Yes!! Farro is a pretty versatile ingredient, so can be substituted with some of the following.
- Wheat Berries
and if you are gluten-free:
- brown rice
but do not use the instant stuff or white rice as you want an ingredient that has a similar cooking time/ratios to Farro.
I also recommend starting off with slightly less liquid to begin with if not using farro and adding more as needed until cooked. Just to ensure you don't end up with too much liquid.
How to Cook Farro
Usually, to cook farro, you rinse the grain thoroughly and then use a ratio of 3:1 for liquid.
So for example, if you were cooking 1 cup of farro you would require 3 cups of liquid (water or stock) and cook for 30 minutes, draining off excess liquid.
But as we are cooking the farro with other ingredients in this Spicy Farro Risotto and we want to keep all the flavour which we would remove if we drained any liquid.
So I find 5 cups of stock to the 2 cups of farro to be enough liquid. 6 cups would just overcook the farro in this recipe and make it too wet.
What to serve with this Spicy Farro Risotto
I like to serve alongside some chopped tomatoes, chopped spring onions and cilantro (coriander).
But you can add a variety of different toppings or sides (some not vegan or dairy free) such as:
- Sour Cream (or plain yoghurt)
- Crisp Shredded Lettuce
- Black Beans
- Refried Beans
and so many other great ones to choose from.
More Risotto Recipes
Love risotto recipes? Check out these other recipes:
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND TOMATO RISOTTO
- CHICKEN, RED PEPPER AND SWEETCORN RISOTTO
- SPICY PRAWN AND VEGETABLE RISOTTO
- MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- CHICKEN, ROASTED RED PEPPER, SUN-DRIED TOMATO RISOTTO WITH CRUMBLED FETA
- FENNEL AND SWEET CIPOLLINI ONION RISOTTO
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 2 cups (400g) of farro (uncooked)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 5 cups (1.2 litres) of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree (paste)
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon of chili powder (not hot)
- ⅕ tsp of paprika (not smoked)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- ½ tsp of cayenne (use more if you like really spicy)
- 1 cup of frozen sweetcorn
- 40g of sultanas (6 syns)
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- chopped cilantro
- Rinse farro thoroughly, set aside.
- Spray a deep frying pan with cooking oil spray and saute the onion, garlic and carrot till onion is translucent.
- Add the peppers and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add in all the spices, tomato paste, sultanas, corn, farro and stir to coat in all the seasonings.
- Pour in the stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes (or slightly more if needed) until the farro is cooked and is just loosely covered in stock (similar to regular risotto).
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro (coriander).
- Serve as is or with your choice of toppings.
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian (vegan), Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1.5 syns per serving
- WW Green Points - 8 per serving
- WW Blue Points - 7 per serving
- WW Purple Points - 1 per serving
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
503 - Service Unavailable Error
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 2.8gSaturated Fat 0.1gSodium 463mgCarbohydrates 71.GgFiber 13.4gSugar 9.8gProtein 11.7g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.