I love risotto, you can pretty much pick any ingredients and combine them with arborio rice and a flavorsome stock for a delicious risotto dish and because it is cooked all in one pan too, you have less washing up.
Fresh shrimp, chilli, seasonings, various speed foods - such as zucchini, carrots and red pepper, with the silky smoothness of coconut milk - Make this a pure bowl of heaven.
My kids love this dish, it is a great family meal. However, if your kids are not keen on too much spice, you may need to leave out the chilli or add half a chilli, test for taste and decide from there whether to add the other half.
It just right for us in heat, but of course we all know how fussy kids can be.
For variation - why not swap the shrimp for chicken or maybe even add both.
This dish is also gluten and dairy free. So great for those with intolerances.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) of Arborio rice
- 3 cups (720ml) of chicken stock
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- approx 3 cups (720ml) of shelled raw shrimp (prawns)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tsps of paprika
- 2 tsps of turmeric
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- salt and pepper to season
- ¼ cup (60ml) of light coconut milk
- Fresh herbs to serve (Italian Parsley or Coriander)
- spray oil
- Spray a large casserole dish over a medium heat with some spray oil and add the onion, garlic, carrot and fry till softened.
- Add the courgette (zucchini), red pepper and fry for a further 2-3 mins
- Add the turmeric, paprika and tomato paste and Arborio rice and stir to coat
- Add the stock, red chilli, cardamom pods, and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer, until stock is almost absorbed and rice is cooked. You may need to add a little more stock if needed, If rice is not fully cooked.
- Stir in the coconut milk, prawns (shrimp) and peas and keep on low heat until prawns are cooked through.
- Season with salt and black pepper as needed
- Top with fresh herbs (Italian Parsley or Coriander works well).
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 296Total Fat 2.6gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 126mgSodium 175mgCarbohydrates 48.6gFiber 3.6gSugar 4.8gProtein 19g