Introducing the Perfect Egg Fried Rice - the must-have sidekick to elevate all your homemade Chinese Fakeaway delights!
This delightful recipe boasts fluffy grains infused with savoury soy sauce and the rich aroma of sesame oil, complemented by perfectly cooked eggs. It's a delectable companion to any Chinese-inspired meal.
Calories in Egg Fried Rice
This Perfect Egg Fried Rice serves 4 and is 219 calories per serving.
If you're following a calorie-controlled diet or a healthy eating plan, it's important to calculate your daily calorie intake using a reliable calorie calculator. Please note that the calorie counts provided are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes. Personalizing your calculations is essential to meet your individual needs. By using a calorie calculator, you can make informed choices and stay on track with your dietary goals.
To make this egg fried rice, you will need the following ingredients:
- Rice: Basmati or any long grain rice works well. Ensure the rice is cooked and chilled for optimal results.
- Eggs: Large fresh eggs.
- Soy Sauce: Both light and dark soy sauce are used for depth of flavour.
- Toasted Sesame Oil: Essential for enhancing the overall taste of the fried rice.
- Peas: Optional, but add frozen garden peas for extra texture and colour.
- Spring Onions (Green Onions): Use the green part only as a garnish and for additional flavour throughout the rice.
- Salt and Pepper: These basic yet essential flavour enhancers are key for elevating the taste of your dishes. No food will ever be bland when these are used to season to taste.
- Low Calorie Spray: Use your preferred choice of low calorie spray, I prefer olive oil or avocado sprays without any added emulsifiers.
Once you've gathered all the ingredients and prepared them accordingly, you're all set to create this easy and delightful recipe.
See the recipe card for specific quantities and instructions.
Tips for Perfect Fried Rice
Here are some of my tips for perfect fried rice
- Maintain a double liquid-to-rice ratio: For flawlessly cooked rice, maintain a double liquid-to-rice ratio. Rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking, then use two cups of water for every cup of uncooked rice. After bringing it to a boil, simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid, and let it rest for 10 minutes to allow the trapped steam to cook the rice to perfection.
- Start with cold rice: To prevent it from becoming stodgy and clumping together, alwaysuse cold chilled rice for your egg fried rice. I recommend cooking the rice the night before using my method in tip 1 above and storing it in the refrigerator promptly. Remember to consume the cooked rice within 1-2 days and thoroughly reheat it before serving to minimize the risk of foodborne illness.
- Cook ingredients separately: When preparing fried rice, cook ingredients such as the eggs separately before adding them to the rice. This ensures that each component is cooked perfectly without overcrowding the pan.
- Use high heat: Stir-fry the rice on high heat in a good quality non stick pan to prevent it from becoming mushy and ensure that it gets nicely crispy and golden brown. Use a generous spray of low calorie spray.
- Add sauces sparingly: Be cautious when adding sauces like soy sauce, it can often be tempting to add in another splash, but you want to avoid making the rice too salty. You can always add more later if needed.
- Don't stir too much: Allow the rice to sit undisturbed for short periods while cooking, this stops the rice from become stodgy and sticky.
These tips will help you create restaurant-quality fried rice at home!
Egg fried rice is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Here are some popular variations to consider:
- Vegetable Fried Rice: Elevate the flavour and nutritional value of your egg fried rice by incorporating diced carrots, peas, bell peppers, or any other vegetables of your choice. Stir-fry the vegetables separately before adding them to the rice to prevent excess moisture. This method ensures a colourful and wholesome dish, packed with vibrant flavours and textures.
- Protein Additions: Amp up the protein content of your egg fried rice by adding cooked chicken, shrimp, beef etc. Simply stir-fry the protein of your choice separately before combining it with the rice.
- Spicy Fried Rice: For a kick of heat, add chopped chillies, chilli flakes, or a drizzle of sriracha sauce to your egg fried rice.
- Soy Sauce Substitute: Explore gluten-free alternatives by opting for tamari or coconut aminos instead of traditional soy sauce. Additionally, consider experimenting with alternative Chinese condiments such as oyster sauce for a unique flavour twist.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different ingredients to create your own signature version of egg fried rice!
FAQ for Perfect Egg Fried Rice
Yes, you can use packaged cooked rice for egg fried rice. While freshly cooked rice is preferred for optimal texture, packaged cooked rice can be a convenient alternative. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the packaging for reheating, and consider spreading the rice out on a tray to cool and dry slightly before using it in the recipe.
Yes, you can use brown rice as a healthier alternative to white rice for egg fried rice. Keep in mind that brown rice may have a firmer texture.
More Rice Recipes
Looking for some more rice side dishes? Check out these
- Chickpea Vegetable Pilaf
- One Pot Savoury Rice
- Lime and Coriander Rice
- Mexican Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash Rice
- One Pot Nando's Peri Peri Rice
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more.
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
Come and follow me on:
You can also Subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some support on your weight loss journey? Maybe you need advice or tips on a recipe, or just general meal ideas.
Are you Looking for Slimming World Syns or Weight Watchers (WW) Points?
We are removing all Slimming World syn values from the website, you can read more about that here.
To ensure precise calculations, we recommend utilizing the official tools provided with your membership to specific plans, as they may undergo regular updates. Values can vary between different brands, so it's essential to calculate recipes using these tools to guarantee accuracy in any recipe you prepare.