These Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls make a great family meal - sit down and grab a bowl with your favourite toppings.
Mexican Burrito Rice Bowl
Back in my university days in Canterbury, we had the best Mexican Restaurant on the high street (no idea if it still exists, was quite a few years ago now - gosh that makes me feel old saying that).
It was one of my favourite places to eat, amazing fajitas, enchiladas or burritos.
I am definitely one of those people who love it when a meal has lots of yummy little components to taste and sample and mix together and Mexican is great for stuff like that. Especially when sharing a meal with friends or family.
Build Your Own Burrito Bowl
So when I made these Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls I wanted to create that same kind of atmosphere for the kids. Making the turkey rice burrito mix all in one pan, and then serving it up in the middle of the table, with various different toppings the kids could choose from for to create their own bowl.
The kids absolutely loved it and were keen to try and a bit of all the toppings on offer, such a great way to encourage healthy eating for kids, especially if some are fussy, because they have full control over what they put on their Turkey Rice Burrito Bowl, rather than me choosing for them.
Meat for Burrito Bowls
Don't fancy Ground Turkey? No worries this will work with various different ground meats (mince).
- Ground Beef
- Ground Chicken
- Ground Pork
- you can even use chicken thighs, steak strips or shrimp (prawns)
or why not go vegetarian with a meat replacement or just up the vegetables and keep it completely meat free.
Best Rice for Burrito Rice
I use just basic white long grain rice for this dish, I don't recommend sticky type rice like Jasmine, or brown rice, as the latter will take longer to cook and will require adjustment with the liquid.
Basmati will work if that's all you have, but just standard Long Grain Rice is the best.
Toppings for Burrito Bowls
Some of the great topped you could offer are:
- Soured Cream (or use plain fat-free yoghurt with a little lemon juice and a pinch of salt for a syn free choice)
- Grated Cheddar
- Chopped spring onions
- Chopped tomatoes or salsa
- Chopped crisp lettuce
- Avocado or make some of this Pea Guacamole
- Diced red onion
- Baked Tortilla Triangles (use a HEb wholemeal wrap)
- Syn Free Chips (make into rounds instead of chip shape)
- Crispy Cheddar Pitta Chips
and so many other options you could offer in the middle of the table. It's a great recipe for a party.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
Love Mexican Food? Check out some of these other recipes:
- INSTANT POT CHOCOLATE CHILLI
- PINEAPPLE MEXICAN PORK CARNITAS
- TACO SALAD BOWL
- ONE POT BEEF FAJITA PASTA
- MEXICAN RICE
- MEXICAN BURGERS
- FAJITA CHICKEN PASTA
- SPICY MEXICAN CHICKEN LASAGNE
- PASTA CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- SPICY MEXICAN CHICKEN AND RICE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
This was originally created on 20 January 2017 and updated on 29 June 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1 cup (180g) of long grain rice
- 455g (1lb) of extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) of crushed tomatoes (or use passata)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup/ (240ml) of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (3 syns) or use sweetener to make syn free
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon of Mexican chilli (chili) powder
- 2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne (or add more if you like really spicy)
- 1 cup (240ml) of black beans (canned)
- 1 cup (240ml) of sweet corn (canned)
- salt and black pepper
- chopped spring onions
- Add the rice to a saucepan, add 2 cups/480ml of water, season with salt and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is almost absorbed, turn off heat, add lid and set aside (steam trapped under lid will cook the rice perfectly).
- Add the ground turkey, onion, crushed garlic, peppers to a deep frying pan over a medium high heat and cook until browned.
- Add the jalapeno, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, brown sugar and all the spices and mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add in black beans and sweetcorn and simmer covered for 20mins. (Check half way through, just to ensure sauce is not reducing too fast, just add a little more stock if needed)
- Remove lid, then stir in cooked rice, till all combined.
- Season as need with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped spring onions
- Spoon into bowls and add your choice of toppings.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 0.5 syns per serving (without toppings)
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving (without toppings)
- WW Blue Smart Points - 4 per serving (without toppings)
- WW Purple Smart Points - 4 per serving (without toppings)
- Dairy-Free - omit any dairy choices as toppings
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 SERVING (NO TOPPINGS)
Amount Per Serving Calories 260Total Fat 3.4gSaturated Fat 0.8gCholesterol 30mgSodium 477mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 5gSugar 6.4gProtein 21.6g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.