Are you looking for a quick and easy delicious dinner that is perfect for the whole family? Look no further than these simple Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas with tender chicken strips and mixed peppers and onion, all in the perfect homemade fajita seasoning blend.
Easy Chicken Fajitas
In this recipe, I'll show you just how easy it is to whip up this popular dish in your air fryer, using my simple homemade fajita seasoning blend. The chicken gets a beautiful sear while it sits on a bed of mixed peppers and onions, infusing it with all those juices and flavour. What's even better is how quickly it all comes together – succulent chicken strips sear to perfection in just a matter of [insert cooking time] minutes. While it cooks, all you need to do is prepare your choice of toppings and sides. Once it's done, gather the family around the table, serve it up, and watch everyone dig in and enjoy.
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Calories in Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- What you need to make Chicken Fajitas
- Variations/Substitutes on the Recipe
- How to Air Fry Chicken Fajitas
- FAQ for Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- How to serve Chicken Fajitas
- More Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Slimming Eats Made in the Air Fryer Cookbook
- Recipe Card
Calories in Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
Enjoy these Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas, which serves four people and has 289 calories per serving (this doesn't include sides or toppings)
If you're looking for more recipes within the same calorie range, you'll find an abundance of options in my dedicated collection of 200+ calorie recipes.
If you're following a calorie-controlled diet or a healthy eating plan, it's important to calculate your daily calorie intake using a reliable calorie calculator. Please note that the calorie counts provided are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes. Personalizing your calculations is essential to meet your individual needs. By using a calorie calculator, you can make informed choices and stay on track with your dietary goals.
What you need to make Chicken Fajitas
To prepare these easy chicken fajitas, here are some notes on the ingredients used:
- Chicken Breast - skinless and boneless so they are all ready to be sliced into strips, seasoned and cooked. If you prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used but will be slightly higher in caloires.
- Onion - I use a regular white onion, but red onion is fine too if that is all you have.
- Bell Peppers - a mixture or red, yellow and green bell peppers add a pop of colour to the dish, but any colour bell pepper is fine.
- Homemade Fajita Spice Mix - In my recipes I always prefer to mix my own spices for seasonings, ready made mixes can often vary in taste, some good and some not so good.
- Cooking Oil - I used avocado oil, which has a high smoke point. I recommend using this or a similar oil instead of spray oil in this recipe because it imparts a richer flavor and tenderness to both the chicken and veggies. It's only 1 tablespoon of oil for a recipe that serves 4, so the calorie content per serving remains relatively low
- Lime - Chicken fajitas simply aren't complete without fresh lime, which not only adds a burst of flavour but also a refreshing zing once everything has finished cooking in the air fryer.
- Salt and Pepper - These basic yet essential flavour enhancers are key for elevating the taste of your dishes. No food will ever be bland when these are used to season to taste
Once you've gathered all the ingredients and prepared them accordingly, you're all set to create this easy and delightful recipe.
See the recipe card for specific quantities and instructions.
Variations/Substitutes on the Recipe
Other proteins: Feel free to add in or swap for other protein like some shrimp or steak. Bear in mind however the difference in timing to cook. Steak will take no more than 8 minutes usually in the air fryer and the same usually for large shrimp (prawns)
Vegetarian option: While quorn or a similiar meat substitute may work with this recipe, it hasn't been tested.
Add some maple syrup/honey: If you like a bit fo sticky sweetness to the chicken and peppers add in a little maple or honey to the chicken when coating in the spices.
How to Air Fry Chicken Fajitas
After the chicken has been seasoned and coated with oil, and the veggies are prepared and ready for action, it's time to get cooking.
I use an Instant Pot Vortex 5.7-litre air fryer to cook these delicious chicken fajitas. My go-to approach involves removing the grill plate, allowing me to cook directly in the basket (however you can use the grill plate if you prefer or use an oven safe liner or dish that fits. This clever technique prevents the oil from draining away underneath and allows the succulent chicken juices to infuse every vegetable, resulting in a harmonious blend of flavours while keeping the chicken exquisitely tender and juicy.
Make sure that the air fryer you choose has a sufficient capacity to accommodate the ingredients for the chicken fajitas. Otherwise, you'll need to adjust the recipe for a smaller batch. Overcrowding the air fryer will result in uneven cooking, causing everything to steam rather than achieving the desired charred and golden color.
FAQ for Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
Yes it sure can, just like any oven recipe can be cooked in an air fryer the same applies to air fryer recipes. So if you don't own an air fryer, use my handy conversion chart to convert to oven: Air Fryer Conversion
Certainly, you can opt for one if you wish. Nevertheless, it's worth noting that some pre-made spice mixes may carry a higher calorie content, and there's no assurance they will deliver the same level of flavour as my homemade blend
Only 1 tablespoon of oil is used in the recipe, totaling just 124 calories when divided among four servings, which isn't a significant calorie intake. While you can opt for spray oil if you prefer, it's important to note that it may not impart the same level of flavour and tenderness to the chicken.
How to serve Chicken Fajitas
There are various ways you can enjoy chicken fajitas. The traditional way of course is usually in warmed soft tortillas with your choice of fillings (toppings), the most popular of items being some of these below:
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Fresh Salsa (or Pico de Gallo)
- Soured Cream (I opt for reduced fat)
- Black beans or refried beans
- Shredded Crisp Lettuce
- Grated/Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
- Sliced fresh jalapenos or pickled jalapenos (great for adding an additional punch of spice)
Alternatively, if you prefer a potato side, they pair exceptionally well with these Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges.
One of our family's favorite twists on fajitas, aside from the traditional soft tortilla presentation, is creating a delectable Chicken Fajita Bowl. In this variation (as seen below), we add our preferred toppings for a customized and satisfying meal.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
Are you in search of more low calorie Mexican inspired recipes? Look no further! Here are some great choices below:
- Mexican Barbecue
- Pineapple Carnitas (Slow Cooker and Pressure Cooker)
- Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls
- Pasta Chicken Enchiladas
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Bake
- Ultimate Mexican Burgers
or if you would like more recipe ideas or sides to make with this recipe - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more.
Come and follow me on:
You can also Subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some support on your weight loss journey? Maybe you need advice or tips on a recipe, or just general meal ideas.
Slimming Eats Made in the Air Fryer Cookbook
Looking for some more air fryer recipes? My new cookbook with 80+ Brand New and Delicious Recipes is out now and can be purchased from all UK major retailers including Amazon (will be released January 2024 in North America including Canada and Australia).
This is the ONLY air fryer cookbook you need in your life. Let me show you all the Amazing meals you can make in your air fryer.