Enjoy a delicious Mexican Night with this Low Syn Pasta Chicken Enchiladas - a perfect meal for the entire family.
I was really craving some chicken enchiladas, but of course on Slimming World, tortilla’s are synned apart from a small few which you can use as a healthy extra B and just 1 of those isn't going to cut it when you fancy enchiladas. So I came up with an idea of using manicotti pasta shells instead to keep the syns down and OMG it was so good.
If you can not find manicotti shells, then you can replace with cannelloni, but you will need to up the number of shells used, as these are slightly smaller than manicotti or you could use some softened lasagne sheets and roll up with the filling inside.
These Pasta Chicken Enchiladas totally cured my craving for the original dish. It's delicious!!
Tips for Filling Manicotta/Cannelloni Shells
Stand them upright on a plate, make them much easier to fill without the filling falling out the bottom. Once you have filling them, you can then carefully lay flat and into the oven dish.
Some shells are oven-ready too, meaning they don't need parboiling before adding to the oven. Making them much easier to handle.
Sides for Enchiladas
When it comes to sides for Enchiladas, I like to keep it simple and go for a mixed salad and some soured cream. If I have a few syns spare, then some avocado is great too. Check out my post on Avocado on Slimming World to see why it's not quite as high synned as you may think.
Wondering exactly what is in my salad? I simply used:
- Shredded Romaine Lettuce
- Chopped Grape Tomatoes
- Baby Cucumber
- Red Onion
More Great Sides for a Mexican Fakeaway
Syn Free & Zero Point Soured Cream
Wondering how to make a simple syn free or zero point soured cream if you want to save syns? I just use plain fat-free Greek Yoghurt, a little juice of fresh lemon and some sea salt.
So simple and a great alternative.
More pasta bake recipes
Love pasta bakes? Check out these other delicious recipes:
- BEST EVER BOLOGNESE PASTA BAKE
- CHICKEN BACON AND TOMATO PASTA BAKE
- TUNA PASTA BAKE
- SLOPPY JOE PASTA BAKE
- PULLED PORK PASTA BAKE
- MEXICAN PASTA BAKE
- RICOTTA AND SPINACH STUFFED PASTA SHELLS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally created on 28 January 2010 and updated on 10th February 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 450g/1lb of extra lean ground chicken or turkey
- ½ red pepper, chopped finely
- ½ green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 8 manicotti pasta shells or 12 cannelloni shells
- 4 tablespoons of quark
- 90g of cheddar cheese (3xHEa's)
- 50g of mozzarella (1xHEa)
For the Enchilada sauce:
- 320ml/1.5cup of crushed tomatoes (or can use passata)
- 1 tbs of tomato paste (up this to 2 or 3 if using passata)
- 240ml/1 cup of water
- pinch of cayenne
- 1.5 teaspoons of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (2 syns)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Preheat the oven to 175c or 350f
- Add the manicotti pasta shells to a saucepan of hot water and cook until they just start to soften (not too soft, they need to have a little firmness to be able to fill with the meat mixture). Then drain hot water, and cover with cold water. Set aside until you are ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, add all the ingredients for the enchilada sauce, bring to the boil and reduce to a medium heat and add a lid. Leave it to simmer away for approx 20mins to reduce down, while you make the enchilada filling. Ensure it has reduced down and thickened before continue with the rest otherwise your sauce will be too runny.
- Add to a frying pan on a medium heat, the ground chicken, onion, garlic, red pepper and green pepper and cook until the meat is no longer pink and cooked through. Reduce the heat right down.
- Add the 1 tsp of chilli powder and mix thoroughly. Add the quark and a 30g of the cheddar cheese and stir to evenly coat.
- Fill all the manicotti shells with the meat mixture and lay them all in a ovenproof dish. Top with you enchilada sauce and the remaining cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approx 30mins, remove foil and then continue to bake for another 15 minutes until cheese on top is nice and golden.
- Serve with a side salad.
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns
- Green WW Smart Points - 10 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
NOTE: For WW use 98% fat-free ground chicken or turkey
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 472Total Fat 16.8gSaturated Fat 8.1gCholesterol 101mgSodium 663mgCarbohydrates 43.7gFiber 4.4gSugar 11gProtein 38.7g