A simple quick and delicious recipe for Stove Top BBQ Chicken that the whole family will love.
One of the kids favourite recipes which I make often is this Stove Topped BBQ Pulled Pork, it's a great way of making pulled pork when you are short on time, as it doesn't need slow cooking like regular pulled pork, but still has that amazing taste and the meat is lovely and tender.
If you haven't yet tried it yet, check out the recipe and make it along with this new variation - Stove Top BBQ Chicken.
I actually had some chicken thighs defrosted out of the freezer for dinner and was trying to decide what to make. I had planned my Hoisin Chicken (which is another dish the kid's love), but I tend to serve that with rice and stir-fried veggies and the kids had requested some Potato Wedges. So I figured it was a good time to make something different.
A Stove Top BBQ Chicken just seemed like the perfect main to go alongside the Garlic and Herb Wedges I had prepped. Which I have to add are pretty darn delicious, full of that lovely garlic flavour and sweet buttery Yukon Gold Potatoes.
Seriously the best potatoes you can buy. Look out for the Elfe variety of potato in the UK, which is a similar variety.
They are my favourite potato to use and feature regularly in my Mashed Potatoes.
Before making a start on the Stove Top BBQ Chicken, I quickly had a search of the veggie tray and fridge to see what I could put together for some vegetables.
This is regular routine in my house because if I do not have the right vegetables to accompany a dish, I will often change my mind and make something else.
Some sauteed peppers and onions seemed like a great choice. I cooked those separately rather than adding to the pan for the BBQ Chicken. I'll be getting the full recipe for how I made the sauteed peppers and onion up on the blog very soon. They are a great side dish to so many main courses, especially grilled meats, sausages etc.
Vegetables are an important part of Slimming as you will discover on my post The Benefit of vegetables. I also recommend reading over my Speed Before Free Foods post too, which will give you some great tips for making sure those vegetables get added to your plate.
I use chicken thighs for this Stove Top BBQ Chicken - I just think that cut of meat works better for this style of cooking. The meat stays lovely and tender with the tangy sweet BBQ sauce - so yummy!!
If you don't fancy the suggested Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges, here are a few other delicious sides to choose from:
- Extra Crispy Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Perfect Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Butternut Squash Fries (great if you are doing a SP day)
- Curly Fries
- Roasted Butternut Squash Rice
- Crushed Roast Potatoes
- Leek and Potato Bake
- Garlic Hasselback Potatoes
and if that’s not enough to choose from, don’t forget my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming Eats Recipes.
For the delicious smokey bbq sauce, I use my regular blend of spices and some passata, along with a mixture of vinegar and soy sauce, with my favourite maple syrup to sweeten. It's what I've been using for years when I want a quick BBQ marinade and it really works perfectly for this Stove Top BBQ Chicken.
For the cooking, add the sauce ingredients to the pan first, then before turning on the heat, add in the chicken thighs, I just sliced them in half, don't chop them up small. I also add a sliced red onion as it really adds to the flavour.
Now here is where the magic comes in, once you turn on that heat and get it to the bubbling stage, you really don't want to touch the chicken or move the ingredients around, this is really important for the cooking process. Halfway through the cooking time, you can carefully turn over the chicken pieces, but that's it, there really is nothing else to do to it. It does the magic all by itself, trust me.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan, slice/shred with a sharp knife, add it back to the sauce and stir just to coat all the chicken pieces in the sauce. Amazing!!!
It gives a perfect amount of sauce for us, but if you like your BBQ chicken a little more saucy (Ooooh errr!!), then just add in a little water and bubble it for a few more minutes just to thicken.
Dish up and serve with your choice of sides, in my case, it was those amazing Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges and Sauteed Peppers and Onion - delicious!!
BTW if you have a healthy extra B choice spare, this Stove Top BBQ Chicken would be amazing on a Wholemeal Roll, like a burger. You could even add a little cheddar if you have a healthy extra spare too. Now there is a thought.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO THIS STOVE TOP BBQ CHICKEN?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Wooden Spoon
- Deep Lidded Frying Pan
Don't forget to subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND DON’T FORGET TO TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM AND DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW SLIMMING EATS ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER | and YOUTUBE TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES 🙂
How to Make Stove Top BBQ Chicken
- 500g of uncooked boneless chicken thighs, any visible fat removed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- BBQ SAUCE
- ¾ cup (180ml) Passata (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 0.5 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce (or tamari/coconut aminos)
- 2 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of chilli powder
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika (if using a hot variety, don’t add the chilli powder, unless you like a spicier barbecue sauce)
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of mustard powder
- Slice each chicken thigh in half.
- Add all the ingredients for the bbq sauce to a deep frying pan, and stir to combine.
- Add in the chicken thighs and red onion. (they should be just covered in the sauce)
- Put the heat underneath on high and bring to a boil, once it starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium and leave it to bubble for 18 mins (do not touch or stir in this time, apart from turning over the chicken pieces half way through the cooking time). You want that sauce to really reduce down around the chicken, however if it reduces too much, just add a little bit more water.
- Once cooked, remove chicken pieces from pan and transfer to a chopping board and using a sharp knife, shred into slices and add back to the sauce stirring to coat.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 227Total Fat 6.3gSaturated Fat 1.5gCholesterol 124mgSodium 819mgCarbohydrates 14.8gFiber 1.4gSugar 8.3gProtein 30.9g