These syn free extra crispy potatoes make a perfect side dish for all your main dishes.
I love crispy potatoes, the kids love crispy potatoes, but how do you make them while still keeping them syn free on Slimming World.
For most an Tefal Actifry will take away some of the hard work, but not everyone owns one and even when I am using the actifry I will still prepare the potatoes using this method. As the result is a lovely crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside potato.
The first step is to ensure you choose a floury variety of potato. I like to use russets, which are the readily available variety here in Canada and the US.
The next step is to parboil, but rather than in water, I use some stock - chicken or vegetable being the best choice, it adds to the flavour and really helps them to crisp.
Add the potatoes to the stock, bring to a boil, and then turn off the heat and leave them in the stock for 5 mins. Then you can drain using a metal sieve/colander.
To help them get nice and crispy, the final part before cooking the potatoes is really important. Using the metal sieve/colander, you need to shake the potatoes so that all the edges become nice and rough and fluffy.
Then place them on a baking tray (or in the actifry if using one of those) - spray will spray oil and bake for about 40 mins, until lovely and crispy and golden. You will need to rotate them half way through cooking if doing these in the oven.
Once done you can season with some sea salt for perfect syn free extra crispy potatoes.
All thats then left to do is to decide what to serve them with.
Looking for some ideas for main course to serve alongside these syn free extra crisp potatoes? Check out these recipes:
- Garlic Chicken and French Bean Tray Bake
- Beef and Vegetable Casserole
- Chicken Quinoa Meatballs in a Veggie Sauce
- Stove Top Low Syn Pulled Pork
- Sausage and Lentil Casserole
- Feta Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes
- Bulgur Wheat, Onion, Sage and Sausage Stuffed Chicken
- Moussaka Meatballs
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Slow Cooked Chicken
- Rosemary Lamb Loin Chops with Mint Gravy
or check out my FULL RECIPE INDEX for over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes
- 800g (28oz) of russet potatoes (or similar floury potatoes), peeled and chopped small
- enough chicken or vegetable stock to cover
- sea salt
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan, cover with the stock
- Bring potatoes to a boil, then turn off heat and leave in stock for 5 mins.
- Drain in a metal sieve or colander and shake to rough up all the edges of the potatoes (this step is important)
- Place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spray the potato all over with spray oil and bake for approx 40 mins (so they are lovely and golden), turn half way through.
- If you have an actifry, you can add these to an actifry instead of the oven after parboiling and roughing up the edges with the sieve. (will take about 15 mins less to cook)
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also double check syn values of sinned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 0.1gSaturated Fat 0.1gSodium 66mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 4.8gSugar 2.3gProtein 4.4g