How amazing do these Moussaka Meatballs look? Delicious lamb meatballs, in a tomato and eggplant sauce topped with a creamy white sauce with cheese - yum!!
These Moussaka Meatballs won’t disappoint in the taste department, they are seriously yummy, everything you love about moussaka, in a simple meatballs dish.
I had some lamb mince I needed to use up and bored by the usual dishes I make with lamb, I decided to make something new and well moussaka just screamed out to me with the eggplant (aubergine) that was also sitting in my fridge.
Eggplant is one of my favourite vegetables, when cooked properly it tastes amazing. I love it grilled or roasted, or adding to a tomato based sauce, like this Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce.
However I really didn’t have the time to mess around with the layers, but if you want a more traditional dish then this low syn moussaka is great.
For dinner today however, I decided to veer from the more traditional recipe and make this Moussaka Meatballs instead. My kids especially love meatballs, so I knew this would be a hit.
How amazing does that sauce look? It is spoon worthy, and when I sauce can be eaten with a spoon like that, you know it's good.
Wondering what to serve it with? I just went for some simple mixed vegetables and then made some crispy potato slices. I make this by using the same method as my Perfect Syn Free Chips, I just slice the potato into rounds instead. The slices are perfect for picking up and using to scoop up the sauce, yes I really did say that. Trust me, its good!
Make me today and if you have any leftovers, this is perfect for freezing.
Looking for some more recipes to try? – Previously on Slimming Eats
- 1 year ago: Spicy Farro Risotto
- 2 years ago: Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie
- 3 years ago: Cheeseburger Quiche
- 4 years ago: Honey Mustard Glazed Pork Loins
- 5 years ago: Chicken Parmesan
- 6 years ago: Maple Glazed Chicken
with many more recipes in my full: Recipe Index
All served up with delicious Crispy Potato Slices and Veg - yum!!
Extra Easy - 1 HEa and 3 syns
Original - 1 HEa and 3 syns
WW Smart Points - 12
- 600g of ground lamb (9 syns), or you can use extra lean ground beef and then deduct 9 syns from the entire recipe
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 eggplant (aubergine) - approx 650g - chopped
- 750g of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp of oregano
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 500ml of stock
- 1 tbs of red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to season
- olive oil spray
- 1 cup of 2% milk (1 x HEa)
- 90g/3oz of parmesan, grated (3 x HEa)
- 1 tbs of arrowroot powder (or cornstarch or tapioca) (1.5 syns)
- salt and black pepper
- chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 200c, 400f or gas mark 6
- Season the lamb with salt and black pepper and roll into smallish meatballs
- Place the meatballs on a tray lined with parchment paper, and bake for 10 mins, until lightly brown.
- Remove and and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil spray.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the aubergine, chopped tomatoes, oregano, paprika, stock and red wine vinegar and bring to a boil, Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 mins.
- Then add the meatballs into the sauce.
- In a small saucepan add the milk and slowly heat
- Mix the arrowroot powder with a little water, so it is a smooth paste and stir this into the milk, add a little bit of the parmesan cheese and season with black pepper. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until the sauce thickens into a smooth white sauce.
- Roughly spoon the white sauce over the top of the meatballs and then top with the remaining parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins, until cheese on top has melted and gone golden.
- Top with some fresh chopped Italian parsley and serve with your choice of sides.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.