Aubergine Lasagne - Whether you are vegetarian or just fancy a meatless meal, this (Eggplant) Aubergine Lasagne is delicious and healthy.
Vegetarian Eggplant (Aubergine) Lasagne
I had an Aubergine (Eggplant) that needed to be used up (one of my favourite vegetables) and was originally going to make a gratin. Instead, thinking about my love of Greek dishes and things like this Healthier Moussaka or Moussaka Meatballs or even this yummy Mediterranean Layered Bake, I decided on this (Eggplant) Aubergine Lasagne and boy was it delicious.
Even meat lovers will enjoy this dish, as it is filling, cheesy and delicious!!
Healthy Vegetable Lasagne
As well as the aubergine (eggplant) this delicious lasagne includes other healthy delicious vegetables, like celery, carrot and bell peppers.
But feel free to add some additional vegetables of your choice, to pack it out even further. Just be aware that other vegetables may release more liquid, so it's best to saute them first, especially things like mushrooms or zucchini (courgette)
Light Bechamel Sauce
When it comes to the yummy white sauce you expect on a delicious lasagne, you will not find eggs, yoghurt or quark in this recipe, mainly because those really do not belong on a lasagne and are not creamy or decadent like you expect with a traditional bechamel sauce.
A yummy healthier bechamel sauce can easily be made using milk, starch and some cheese and seasoning and it tastes just as good without use butter. Best of all it doesn't add a huge amount of syn either, so why would you ever ruin a lasagne by topping it with quark, eggs or yoghurt - no thanks!!!
You will notice in this recipe that I use parmesan and I know traditional parmesan is not vegetarian, but here this side of the Atlantic we can get Parmesan that is vegetarian friendly. It's not proper Parmesan Reggiano, but it's a good substitute and has the strong cheese taste you expect.
If you can't get this where you live, just swap for a Vegetarian friendly hard cheese or even some white mature cheddar will be fine.
Can I freeze this lasagne?
Yep, you sure can, it is best frozen all made up in a dish and before baking, but I have also frozen it completely cooked too and it's fine.
To reheat, I fully defrost and then warm up in the oven or microwave until piping hot throughout. You could make it up in 4 little containers too instead of one big dish and just cook the portions you want and then freeze the ones you don't for another day.
Sides for Aubergine (Eggplant) Lasagne
I like to serve this lasagne with a simple side salad. Usually just baby greens, cucumber, red onion and tomatoes with a light vinaigrette
Some just can't have lasagne without a side serving of chip (fries) and we have the perfect recipe for this Oven Baked Chipsor if you are more a potato wedges time person, then how about this yummy Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges
More Vegetarian Recipes
Fancy some other vegetarian recipes? Check out these:
- CHICKPEA VEGETABLE CHILLI (STOVE TOP AND INSTANT POT)
- CREAMY MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
- SPINACH PASTA BAKE
- 4 INGREDIENT QUICK LENTIL CURRY
- MEDITERRANEAN LAYERED BAKE
- HEALTHY MATAR PANEER CURRY
- CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOMS WITH ROASTED JACKET POTATOES
- VEGETABLE AND BEAN STEW (STOVE TOP AND INSTANT POT)
- VEGAN CREAMY COCONUT MUSHROOM LENTILS (STOVE TOP AND INSTANT POT)
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Originally created on 4 January 2011 and updated on 10 May 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 240ml (1 cup) of canned crushed tomatoes (or use passata)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (use 2 if using passata)
- 480ml (2 cups) of vegetable stock
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant)
- 6 oven-ready lasagne sheets (may need more depending on size of your lasagne sheets)
- sprinkling of Italian herbs
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray oil
For the topping:
- 240ml (1 cup) of 2% milk - (HEa)
- 60g (2oz) of vegetarian-friendly parmesan (or similar hard cheese, mature cheedar is good too) - (2xHEa)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch - (1.5 syns)
- pinch of mustard powder
- salt and pepper to season
- 50g (1.5oz) of Mozzarella (HEa)
- Spray a frying pan over medium heat with olive oil spray. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the carrot and red bell pepper and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, balsamic vinegar, and Italian herbs.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- Preheat oven to 180c (fan 160c), 350f or gas mark 4
- In the meantime slice the aubergine into slices (not too thick)
- Add to a colander and rinse with water, sprinkle with a little salt and pat dry
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment, spray over the top with spray oil and bake until softened (approx 20-30 mins)
- Raise temp to 200c/fan 180c/ 400f or gas mark 6
- Spray a lasagne dish with some olive oil spray
- Line the bottom of a square ovenproof dish with half the vegetable mix, then half the aubergine slices in a layer.
- Then top with 3 sheets of lasagne.
- Add the remaining vegetable mix, the rest of the aubergine slices and then the final 3 sheets of lasagne.
- Set the dish aside while you make the topping.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat, add the milk, mix the cornstarch with a little cold water and add this into the milk with the mustard powder. Whisk constantly until the sauce starts to thicken, then add in 30g (1oz) parmesan cheese until melted and creamy.
- Pour this over the top of the lasagne, then season the top well with salt and black pepper.
- Finish off with the mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese and bake in the oven until golden (approx 30-40 mins).
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Vegetarian - use vegetarian friendly parmesan or can use mature cheddar
- Gluten Free - use gluten free pasta and stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 8.8gSaturated Fat 5.3gCholesterol 26mgSodium 835mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4.3gSugar 11gProtein 13.9g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.