Mediterranean Layered Bake - delicious layers of potato, tomatoes, aubergine, peppers and courgette topped with a cheesy white bechamel style sauce.
If you are a fan of lasagne, then this Mediterranean Layered Bake is a must try!!! and is perfect for lunches, picnics, dinner and more.
Instead of pasta, it combines delicious layers of thinly sliced potato and packed with healthy filling speed vegetables, that are so tasty you won't even miss the meat.
Use a vegetarian Italian style hard cheese instead of the parmesan and this is vegetarian-friendly too.
It makes 6 delicious servings, so if you are a family of 4 like me, that gives you 2 leftover portions that would be perfect for you to freeze for another day. Gotta love leftovers, right?
Love layered dishes like this? Check out these other recipes:
- Leek and Potato Bake
- Beef Lasagne
- Layered Mashed Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole
- Aubergine Lasagne
- Mexican Lasagne
- Chicken and Sweetcorn Lasagne
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods (healthy vegetables) to this Mediterranean Layered Bake?
Well, this recipe actually comes packed with speed foods, so if you want just a slice of this with nothing else, then go right ahead.
I served alongside a yummy mixed salad of crisp lettuce, finely chopped tomatoes and onion, beetroot, carrot and then a few green olives (the latter being synned of course).
Some steamed greens like tender stem broccoli or even some cauliflower would also go really well with this if you don't fancy a cold salad.
Kitchen Items used for this Mediterranean Layered Bake?
- Oxo Good Grips Non-Stick Deep Baking Tray
- Non Stick Frying Pan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug or Cups
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowls
This recipe was originally created on 17 July 2012 and updated on the 4 June 2019
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil - 6 syns
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g (14oz) of chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 8 tablespoons of tomato paste (puree)
- 480ml (2 cups) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant), sliced thinly lengthways
- 3 courgettes (zucchini), sliced thinly lengthways
- 1kg (35oz) of waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used Yukon golds)
- 90g (3.2oz) of parmesan cheese - 3xHEa’s
- 100g (3.5oz) of mozzarella - 2 HEa’s
- 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch - 2 syns
- 300ml (1.25 cups) of 1% milk - 1 HEa
- Olive Oil Spray
- Chopped Italian parsley
- salt and black pepper.
- Add the sliced potatoes to a large saucepan with water and parboil (they should still be firm in the centre, but slightly softened on outside). Drain and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over a medium high heat, once hot, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes until softened
- Add the peppers and garlic and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste (puree), stock, balsamic vinegar, oregano, fresh basil and crushed fennel seeds.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, and allow to gently bubble for 15-20 minutes until sauce reduces down and thickens (it's important to let the sauce reduce down and thicken otherwise it will be too watery).
- Taste sauce and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Set aside.
- Wipe the frying pan clean, spray with olive oil spray and place over medium heat, add the courgette and aubergine in batches until lightly browned on all sides and softened, seasoning with a little salt and black pepper as you do.
- Then you can begin the layering.
- Add half the tomato sauce to the bottom of the baking tray.
- Then add half the courgette and half the aubergine.
- Add half the potato slices in a then layer, slightly overlapping each other as you do.
- Then add the remaining tomato sauce, another layer of aubergine and courgette and then the final layer of potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan 180c/400f or gas mark 6
- Add the milk to a saucepan, stir the cornstarch with a couple of tablespoon of water to make a slurry, add this into the milk, slowly heating until it starts to thicken. As it starts to thicken, stir in 30g of the parmesan until melted into the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes, spreading out so it covers evenly with a spatula
- Top with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella.
- Cover with foil (it's important you use a deep enough tray so that the cheese doesn't touch the foil when covered)
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes until the top is lovely and golden.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1.5 syns and 1 HEa per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 10 per serving
- Vegetarian - use a vegetarian Italian style hard cheese in place of the parmesan
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wüsthof CLASSIC Santoku Knife
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Adjustable Mandoline Slicer by Chef's INSPIRATIONS. Best For Slicing Food, Fruit and Vegetables. Professional Grade Julienne Slicer. With Cut Proof Gloves and Cleaning Brush. Stainless Steel
All Clad Non Stick Pan Set
OXO Good Grips 11160000UK Non-Stick Pro Rectangle Cake Tin, Gold, 34.3 x 24.1 x 5.3 cm
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 11.7gSaturated Fat 5.8gCarbohydrates 47.1gFiber 8.5gSugar 14.9gProtein 19.9g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.