Delicious Slimming World Low Syn Moussaka - a light and healthier version of this Traditional Greek dish.
Moussaka traditionally uses ground lamb in a tomatoey sauce with spices and slices of eggplant (aubergine) with a creamy bechamel sauce. It's a dish I love, so I just had to create a Slimming World version.
Eggplant (Aubergine) is one of my favourite vegetables, it's amazing in a variety of dishes including of course this Low Syn Moussaka and it's a Slimming World Speed Food if ever you need another excuse to add this to your meals.
Check out these other Eggplant Recipes:
- Chicken and Eggplant Curry
- Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Soup
- Hoisin Eggplant and Edamame
- Eggplant and Pork Timbale
- Syn Free Roasted Vegetable Gratin
- Low Syn Moussaka Meatballs
- Mediterranean Layered Bake
- Roasted Aubergine and Tomato Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- Low Syn Aubergine Lasagne
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 700+ delicious Slimming World Recipes
For this Low Syn Moussaka, I use extra lean ground beef, because extra lean ground lamb is pretty difficult to get hold of unless you have an awesome butcher or a mincing machine at home, where you can make your own from lean cuts of lamb.
Of course, if you want to stick to a more traditional version and can find some lower synned ground lamb, feel free to swap it out for the ground beef, there is some that work out not too bad syn wise, when you are dividing up into portions.
The topping on this low syn moussaka, I use a mixture of milk, starch, eggs and two different types of cheese because I just can't do without a bechamel sauce type topping.
It makes it feel so much more luxurious and delicious than using just eggs or quark/yoghurt for the topping. For me, it's worth the few syns when combined with your healthy extra A choice.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THIS LOW SYN MOUSSAKA?
There are plenty of speed foods included in the actual Low Syn Moussaka recipe, but I also like to make up a big mixed side salad to go alongside this. Baby Greens are my favourite, perfect just as they are with some beetroot or ribbons of carrot. Any vegetables or salad would go well with this dish.
What kitchen Items do I need to make this Low Syn Moussaka?
- Oven Proof Dish
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Frying Pan
- Baking Tray
- Santoku Knife
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Low Syn Moussaka | Slimming World
Yield 6 servings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns per serving
- Original/SP - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns per serving
- WW Smart Points - 7 per serving
*suitable for freezing
- 2 large aubergines (eggplant), sliced thinly lengthways
- 500g (17.5oz) of extra lean ground beef (or if you use lean ground lamb be sure to adjust syn value)
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 1 carrot chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of passata (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree (paste)
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 cups (340ml) of beef stock
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sukrin: gold - or use a sweetener of choice
for the cheese sauce:
- 2 cups of 2% milk - 2 HEa's
- 2 tbs of cornstarch - 3 syns
- 90g of parmesan - 3 HEa's
- 50g of mozzarella - 1 x HEa
- 1 egg
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Place slices of aubergine on a large baking sheet and spray with spray oil, bake until softened and golden. Set aside.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the meat, onion, garlic and carrot and fry till meat is browned and veg is softened.Add the herbs, spices, passata, tomato puree, sukrin (sweetener), stock and splash of balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 30 mins.Add half the meat mixture to a large oven proof dish.
- Layer with half of the aubergine (eggplant)
- Add the rest of the meat and then a final layer of the aubergine (eggplant).
- Add the milk to a small saucepan and heat gently
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry and stir this into the milk stirring until thickened.
- Stir in 30g of the parmesan until melted, remove from heat and quickly whisk in the egg to prevent curdling.
- Pour over the top of the layers of aubergine (eggplant) and meats and then top with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheat oven 180c/350f (gas mark 4) for approx 45-50 mins until the cheese on top is melted and golden.
- Slice into servings and Enjoy!!
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.2 g
Saturated Fat 6.4 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 695.3 mg
Total Carbohydrates 27.6 g
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 34.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.