Hoisin Eggplant and Edamame - a delicious meat free dish to dig into. The only difficult part is deciding lunch or dinner.
I regularly enjoy meat free dishes and when I do I don't go for the usual vegetarian meat substitutes like quorn or soy protein etc. Instead I tend to use either lentils or just good ole vegetables. The latter of course being the best choice you can make, because of that added speed foods it will add to your plate.
One vegetable I really love is eggplant (or aubergine). It is perfect for taking on flavour of whatever you add to the dish, like in these amazing dishes:
- Eggplant, Sweet Potato, Zucchini and Lentil Curry
- Vegetable Gratin
- Eggplant Lasagne
- Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Soup
The important part with eggplant (aubergine) is to make sure you cook it correctly, as not cooked enough and it can be tough and chewy, which is neither pleasant or delicious.
My favourite way to cook eggplant (aubergine), is to either roast, grill or by braising it in a sauce - the latter being my preferred method for this amazing Hoisin Eggplant and Edamame.
It's a pretty simple dish too, no huge list of ingredients. The only possibly ingredient that might be hard to source is the edamame beans, but they can usually be source in the freezer section at most grocery stores. They are handy for having in the freezer, I love throwing them into stir fries and salads. Delicious steamed and then seasoned with just a pinch of salt too as a snack.
I have a couple of edamame recipes here, that you might like to try:
If you haven't yet tried edamame, add some into you shopping cart next week and give them a go. You'll be pleasantly surprised how yummy they can be.
Lastly for this amazing Hoisin Eggplant and Edamame is the flavour and of course the main ingredient that gives that in this dish, is this Hoisin Sauce. Hoisin sauce is one of my favourite Asian style sauces, it does have quite a unique flavour to it, but is great with all kinds of protein like chicken, pork, shrimp and even just vegetables.
Here are all the yummy Hoisin dishes for you to try:
- Quick Hoisin Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry
- Hoisin Chicken
- Hoisin Pork and Noodles
- Hoisin Chicken with Noodles
- Low Syn Chicken Meatballs in Hoisin Sauce
- Low Syn Chinese Pork
- Slow Cooked Chinese Style Pork Tenderloin
- Asian Barbecued Chicken
so many amazing dishes for you to try, right? and if that is not enough don't forget my FULL RECIPE index with over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes
Serve this Hoisin Eggplant and Edamame with some steamed rice, noodles or for a proper Fakeaway night, some Egg Fried Rice
- 450g (1lb) of eggplant (aubergine), chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 480ml of water
- ¼ cup (60ml) of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce - 4 syns
- 1 cup of frozen edamame beans (plus 2 tbs of water)
- spray oil
- Spray a wok or deep frying pan with some spray oil, add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the eggplant and stir to coat.
- Start slowly adding a little bit of water at a time let it reduce down and then repeat the process, until all water is gone and eggplant is softened.
- Place the frozen edamame in a bowl with 2 tbs of water. Cover with a plate and cook on high for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the soy sauce and hoisin to the eggplant, and simmer for a couple of minutes until sauce thickens around eggplant.
- Stir in the edamame beans, top with chopped spring onion.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also double check syn values of sinned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0.6gCholesterol 326mgSodium 815mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 6.2gSugar 7.6gProtein 7.6g