Chicken Meatballs in Hoisin Sauce - delicious juicy chicken meatballs with mushrooms in a rich flavour packed Hoisin Sauce.
This is definitely a dish for the whole family, kids will love these meatballs and the adults too. The meatballs are packed with flavour and lovely and tender and the amazing sauce with flavours from Hoisin finish the dish perfectly.
So easy to make and delicious finished off with some sliced spring onions and a pinch of sesame seeds.
Best Ground Meat for Meatballs
Any mince will work fine for these yummy tender meatballs. But for best results I recommend chicken, turkey or pork. Beef will work okay, but we find it a little rich for the sauce, so prefer to use one of the others.
I also don't recommend going any leaner than 5% fat, otherwise the meatballs can be a little dry.
Mushrooms in Meatballs
Why use mushrooms in the meatballs? They add great umami flavour when combined with all the other ingredients plus they help keep the meatballs from being too dry, especially as we are using a ground meat with a lower fat content.
If you don't like mushrooms however, you can substitute with a little grated zucchini (squeeze out excess liquid) or add in about ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and an egg. I don't recommend added an egg if not adding the breadcrumbs, as it can make the sauce a bit weird, as it will leak out of the meatballs if there is nothing to absorb it.
Hoisin Sauce for Recipes
The sauce used on these meatballs will work well with any protein of choice, it's really simple and packed with flavour. I add a few additional ingredients to make it go that bit further.
For the sauce I use:
- 3 tablespoons of hoisin,
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste,
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 180ml passata
- 180ml of water
- 1 tablespoon of of cornstarch
Sides for Meatballs
We like to serve these with some jasmine rice and stir fried veggies like shredded broccoli stalks, carrot, cabbage and slice baby king oyster mushrooms. But these will go with any vegetables you like.
Some other great sides are:
Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice (for a lower carb option)
or if you are potato person there is no reason why you can't enjoy these with
More Meatballs Recipes
Love meatballs? Check out these other recipes:
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Meatball Pasta (Gluten Free and Dairy Free)
- One Pot Turkey Swedish Meatball Pasta
- Lamb Meatballs with Mint Gravy
- Moussaka Meatballs
- Mega Stuffed Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
- Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs (Instant Pot and Stove Top)
- Coconut Beef Meatball Curry
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more..
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
For the meatballs:
- 500g extra lean ground chicken (mince) - 5% fat
- 125g of mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp of ginger root
- pinch of salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce (use low sodium soy sauce if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste (puree)
- 180ml (¾ cup) of water
- 180ml (¾ cup) of passata
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (cornflour)
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 3 spring onions (green onions), sliced
- pinch of black and toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c fan or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger to a mini food processor and pulse until really fine.
- Add this to a bowl with the chicken mince and a pinch of salt and black pepper and combine all together.
- Form into 16 equal sized meatballs
- Place meatballs on a baking tray lined with parchment, spray over top with cooking oil spray and bake for approx 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients
- Add to a frying pan and drop in the meatballs.
- Let sauce bubble until sauce reduces down and thickens and meatballs are cooked through. (approx 10-15 minutes)
- Serve topped with sliced spring onion and a pinch of black and toasted sesame seeds.
Please see below for recipe values:
This recipe is dairy free friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- WW Personal Points - 2+ per serving (add ingredients to your WW diary for points value - as this may vary depending on your personal points zero foods)
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
Slimming Eats is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World or Weight Watchers. We recommend that you consult with a Slimming World or WW Consultant to verify accuracy of values at a group meeting or through an online subscription to those plans.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
All-Clad Essentials Nonstick Skillet set, 4-Piece, Grey
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 237Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 23mgSodium 895mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 26g
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.