Amazing Mega Stuffed Meatballs with Tomato Sauce - delicious beef meatballs with oozy melted mozzarella, peppers and onion inside.
If there is one thing I know I can make that the kids will devour with no complaints, then it is definitely these Mega Stuffed Meatballs.
I'd even go so far as to say, they will devour a bowl of these, just as they are with no sides what so ever. Now that's gotta be a sign of how good these are right?
What's not to love? Tender beef meatballs with the surprise of melted mozzarella and yummy sauteed peppers and onions for a perfect taste explosion.
Pizza stuffed meatballs come to mind, whenever we dig into these, as it has all our favourite pizza ingredients, including the yummy tomato sauce because let's face it, you can't have meatballs without sauce.
You might be wondering do I really need to add breadcrumbs? and really wanting to keep this syn free, but trust me when I say breadcrumbs make such a difference to meatballs or meatloaves for that matter, especially when the meat is very lean, it will keep you meatballs nice and tender and not dry.
So I suppose you could leave them out, but in all honesty, why would you, it's only ? syns per serving and totally worth it if you ask me.
This recipe for these Mega Stuffed Meatballs with Tomato Sauce makes 6 large meatballs which is a 3 person serving, so if you want to make more just double up the recipe, they freeze perfectly too. I just fully defrosted and then reheat in the oven with the sauce or in the microwave.
Love meatballs? Check out some of these other recipes:
- Low Syn Pork Meatballs with Spicy Pineapple Sauce
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Apricot Chicken Meatballs
- Syn Free Vegetarian Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Quinoa Meatballs in a Veggie Sauce
- Swedish Meatballs and Gravy
- Syn Free Pork and Sweet Potato Meatballs
- Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce
- Low Syn Moussaka Meatballs
- Asian Chicken Meatballs
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Lamb Meatballs with a Spicy Tomato Sauce
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX where you full find over 850+ delicious Slimming World Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredient, syn value etc
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join
Just look at that delicious melted cheese inside this meatball, served over that amazing tomato sauce - yum!!
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to these Mega Stuffed Meatballs with tomato sauce?
There is already all the speed foods in the sauce as well as the peppers and onion inside those amazing meatballs. But for some additional vegetable options, these would be delicious with some spiralled zucchini/courgette using a vegetable spiralizer.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make these Mega Stuffed Meatballs with Tomato Sauce?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Large Frying pan
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 😘
For the meatballs
- 500g of extra lean beef mince
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup (30g) of Italian breadcrumbs - 5.5 syns
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- ⅔ cup (160ml) of stock
- ½ tbs or paprika
- 150g of fresh mozzarella, broken into equal size pieces
- cooking oil spray
For the sauce
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 cup (240ml) of crushed tomatoes (or passata)
- 1 cup (240ml) of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
For the meatballs
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 4)
- Place the mince, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper into a bowl and mix to combine. Add the breadcrumbs and egg and mix well. Set Aside
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray
- Add the onion and peppers and saute for a couple of mins
- Stir in the tomato paste and paprika and then gradually add stock from the ⅔ cup of stock and reduce down until the onions and peppers are softened.
- Divide the meatballs mixture into 6 equal sized pieces.
- Take one of the pieces and flatten into a pancake shape and them form up into a bowl. Add a spoonful of the tomato and pepper mixture and one chunk of mozzarella and close up the meat around the filling, making sure it is firmly closed to avoid any of the filling leaking out and then shape into meatball.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking tray. Repeat for the 5 other meatballs. You may have some pepper and tomato filling left over, but don't worry you can add this into the sauce.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray
- Place the meatballs in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until golden.
For the Sauce
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes to soften (add in a little stock if it starts to stick)
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil, then simmer on a medium high heat until it reduces down to a thicker tomato sauce.
- Once the meatballs are ready, drop them carefully into the sauce, spooning some sauce over the top of the meatballs and allow to simmer in the sauce for about 8-10 minutes to ensure the meatballs are cooked through)
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 2 syns per serving
- Original/SP - 2 syns per serving
- WW Smart Points - 10 per serving
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 (2 meatballs)
Amount Per Serving Calories 493Total Fat 19.5gSaturated Fat 9.6gCholesterol 198mgSodium 836mgCarbohydrates 27.7gFiber 4.6gSugar 10.5gProtein 54.6g