Yummy Tender Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce combine both sweet and spicy flavours. A perfect any night of the week meal.
Oven Baked Chicken Mango Meatballs
These chicken meatballs are super easy to make and ready in minutes, just by combining a few delicious ingredients in a bowl and baking in the oven until lightly golden.
None of that faffing about on a frying pan trying to get meatballs evenly browned. Just line them up on a baking tray and bake for no more than 15 minutes and these are done.
Then all that's left is the sauce. Which can be done while the meatballs bake in the oven.
Spicy Mango Sauce
This whole dish was one of those recipes that happened by chance. I had picked up a whole bunch of mangoes super cheap at the grocery store and had made up a batch of mango salsa and a mango fruit salad and still had some left to use up.
I was wondering what to else I could make when I remembered the ground chicken (chicken mince) in the fridge that needed to be cooked up for dinner and thought hmmm meatballs with mango sounds like a great combination.
This sweet and spicy mango sauce I made to accompany the meatballs is delicious - ripe mangos, red chillies, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic and ginger all combine for a flavoursome sauce.
Smother or Spoon?
That's up to you, there is no right or wrong with this recipe, you can either toss the entire batch of meatballs in the sauce or serve the sauce in the middle of the table for the family to spoon some sauce over their meatballs.
The only issue with the latter is that you'll most definitely be fighting over that sauce, trust me!!!
I did the best of both and spooned the sauce over the top of each serving, that way we all go an even portion of this delicious sweet spicy sauce.
Sides for Chicken Meatballs with Spicy Mango Sauce.
You could serve these with a variety of side dishes, but I personally like steamed jasmine rice and some sauteed cabbage
For the cabbage I use about half a head of cabbage between 4 people, using me large santoku knife I slice and shred into strips, then add to a frying pan with some cooking oil spray and garlic. As it starts to soften I pour in a little chicken stock and reduce it down until the cabbage is cooked (you can keep adding more stock if need, you just need to loosely surround the pieces of cabbage with the stock. Then when ready season with salt and black pepper.
Any stir-fried vegetables will work, so just use what you have on hand or another healthier swap for the rice is this Roasted Cauliflower Rice.
More meatball recipes
Love meatballs? we do too and here are some more of our favourites:
- LAMB AND MINT MEATBALLS IN A SWEET AND SPICY SAUCE
- LOW SYN SLOW COOKER ITALIAN CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- SWEET CHILLI MEATBALLS
- MEGA STUFFED MEATBALLS WITH TOMATO SAUCE
- SWEDISH MEATBALLS AND GRAVY
- CHICKEN QUINOA MEATBALLS IN A VEGGIE SAUCE
- LOW SYN MOUSSAKA MEATBALLS
- FIRECRACKER MEATBALLS
- CRANBERRY ALMOND CHICKEN MEATBALLS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally created on 14 August 2015 and updated on the 23 September 2019
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
For the meatballs
- 500g (17.5oz) of extra lean ground chicken
- 80g of ripe mango, diced small
- ¼ green pepper, diced small
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado
For the sauce
- 180g of ripe mango, chopped
- 1 tbs of maple syrup
- 2 red chillies, remove seeds and dice
- 2 tbs of soy sauce
- ½ cup of water
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
For the meatballs
- Preheat oven to 220c/fan 200c or 425f (gas mark 7)
- Add the ground chicken, paprika, ginger, salt, black pepper, spring onion, green pepper and 80g mango to a bowl and roughly mix till combined.
- Form into 20 equal sized meatballs
- Place on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (meatballs should be lightly golden and cooked through.
For the sauce
- Add the 180g mango, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and water to a saucepan and heat over high heat until mango breaks down into a puree.
- Add in the chiles and maple syrup and continue to heat until it turns into a thick syrupy sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over the meatballs, sprinkle with chopped spring onions and serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, Whole30, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2.5 syns per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 1 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free soy sauce
- Paleo - use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TeamFar Saucepan, Professional Stainless Steel Sauce Pan with Lid
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 6.5gSaturated Fat 1.9gCholesterol 75mgSodium 679mgCarbohydrates 17.2gFiber 1.7gSugar 12.7gProtein 25g