Chances are if you have ever been to Ikea, then you have tried their Swedish Meatballs and Gravy with lingonberry sauce.
Well now you can make them at home and much lower in syns, plus this version tastes amazing. I might be a little biased, but seriously, these Swedish Meatballs and Gravy taste amazing, especially with a small dollop of said lingonberry sauce and my creamy Syn Free Mashed Potatoes - heaven!!
If you can't get lingonberry sauce then cranberry sauce will work just fine or if you are going near an ikea store, pick up a jar of their lingonberry sauce, it is only 1.5 syns for a tablespoon.
The gravy kind of follows on the same ingredients as my ever so popular syn free gravy with a couple of additions to turn it into that delicious creamy gravy that is traditionally served with the swedish meatballs.
I blend the onions for the gravy using my awesome new Ninja Duo Blender with Auto IQ technology that you can see below. It is a super clever blender that features intelligent programs that combine pulsing and blending patterns, meaning no having to guess how long to pulse or blend etc. It's amazing.
For the meatballs it's very limited ingredients, all you need is the ground beef and some seasoning and you are good to go, no complicated fancy ingredients.
If you like you could even serve these Swedish Meatballs and Gravy with these Perfect Syn Free Chips
This recipe is gluten free, it isn't however dairy free, although you an option to make this dairy free, is to use a little bit of coconut milk and add a little starch to thicken (corn, arrowroot or tapioca).
For your speed foods for this Swedish Meatballs and Gravy recipe, serve with a veg of your choice, sauteed brussels or greens would go really well with this or you could even serve with this Cauliflower Mash which would also make this dish original and SP friendly
Extra Easy - 1 syn per serving
Original/SP - 1 syn per serving
WW Smart Points - 3
- 600g/21oz of extra lean ground beef
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 large onion (approx 2 cups when chopped)
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups/720ml beef stock
- 4 tbs of low fat cream cheese - 4 syns
- ½ tsp of dried rosemary
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil
- Add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and continue to fry for approx 5 mins till the onions are a nice caramelized colour.
- Add the rosemary and stock and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 mins
- While the gravy is simmering - add the ground beef to a bowl along with the salt and onion powder.
- Mix together
- Form into meatballs
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Spray over the top with spray oil
- Place in oven and bake for 10 mins
- Remove and set aside.
- Once gravy has simmered, add to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add back to pan over medium heat
- Add in the cream cheese and stir till melted.
- Add in the meatballs and simmer for 10 mins till meatballs are cooked through and sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped Italian parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with Syn Free Mashed Potatoes, Syn Free Sweet Potato Mash or Syn Free Cauliflower Mash, plus your choice of veg and lingonberry (or cranberry sauce)
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full