Chances are if you have ever been to Ikea, then you have tried their Swedish Meatballs and Gravy with lingonberry sauce.
Well now you can make them at home, plus this version tastes amazing. I might be a little biased, but seriously, these Swedish Meatballs and Gravy taste amazing, especially with a small dollop of said lingonberry sauce and my creamy Mashed Potatoes - heaven!!
If you can't get lingonberry sauce then cranberry sauce will work just fine or if you are going near an ikea store, pick up a jar of their lingonberry sauce.
The gravy kind of follows on the same ingredients as my ever so popular gravy with a couple of additions to turn it into that delicious creamy gravy that is traditionally served with the swedish meatballs.
I blend the onions for the gravy using my awesome new Ninja Duo Blender with Auto IQ technology that you can see below. It is a super clever blender that features intelligent programs that combine pulsing and blending patterns, meaning no having to guess how long to pulse or blend etc. It's amazing.
For the meatballs it's very limited ingredients, all you need is the ground beef and some seasoning and you are good to go, no complicated fancy ingredients.
If you like you could even serve these Swedish Meatballs and Gravy with these Perfect Chips
This recipe is gluten free, it isn't however dairy free, although you an option to make this dairy free, is to use a little bit of coconut milk and add a little starch to thicken (corn, arrowroot or tapioca).
For this Swedish Meatballs and Gravy recipe, serve with a veg of your choice, sauteed brussels or greens would go really well with this or you could even serve with this Cauliflower Mash .
- 600g (21oz) of extra lean ground beef (mince) - 5% fat
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the gravy
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups (720ml) beef stock
- 6 tablespoon of low fat cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
- salt and black pepper
- pinch fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c, 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat with some low calorie spray
- Add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and continue to fry for approx 5 mins till the onions are a nice caramelized colour.
- Add the rosemary and stock and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 mins
- While the gravy is simmering - add the ground beef to a bowl along with the salt and onion powder.
- Mix together
- Form into meatballs
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Spray over the top with low calorie spray
- Place in oven and bake for 10 mins
- Remove and set aside.
- Once gravy has simmered, add to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add back to pan over medium heat
- Add in the cream cheese and bubble until melted and creamy
- Add in the meatballs and simmer for 10 mins till meatballs are cooked through and sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped Italian parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Mash or Cauliflower Mash, plus your choice of veg and lingonberry (or cranberry sauce)
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 234Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2.4gCholesterol 90.3mgSodium 790.4mgCarbohydrates 9.2gFiber 1.5gSugar 1.1gProtein 36.7g