Fed up of trying to find decent low fat sausages for breakfasts? Then make up a dish of these delicious Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square
I don't know about you, but good tasting low fat breakfast sausages without unnecessary ingredients and fillers are hard to come by and those that are, can often be pretty expensive.
For those times when I can't find any, I like to make my own, like this Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square. It is really delicious for breakfast with homemade hash brown, a fried egg and my yummy tomato and red onion relish
You get a pretty decent sized serving too. The apple and red onion add a lovely flavour and natural sweetness to the sausage. The maple syrup helps the sausage to caramelize slightly as extra lean ground meat can be pretty dry.
For the hash brown, I just grate some raw peeled potato, squeeze out any excess moisture. Spread out on a tray lined with parchment spray over the top with spray oil and bake at 200c/400f until golden (approx 30 mins). Season well with salt and a little black pepper.
Best of all because this is homemade, it is suitable for those that are gluten free. Gluten free sausages are another item that can be hard to come by.
If you are happy to use a healthy extra b choice for breakfast, you could even make a delicious sausage sandwich wth this Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square - now there is a thought - yum!!
You could also double the recipe up to make a bigger batch and that way you have plenty of it for breakfasts for the week. I know sometimes we just like to have things on hand that are quick to heat (and eat), when in a hurry in the mornings, right?
Delicious Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square all served up for breakfast
As well as gluten free, this apple and red onion sausage square is also dairy free and suitable for those on a paleo diet.
- 500g (17.5oz) of extra lean ground pork
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 small crisp apple, cored, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of ground sage
- little black pepper
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Add the ground pork, maple syrup, paprika, sage, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Spray a square 8 inch pan with spray oiL
- Add the ground pork mixture and push it all down so that it evenly lines the bottom of the tin.
- Stick apple and red onion slices into the mixture in an alternating pattern.
- Spray over the top with spray oil
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 30-40 mins, meat should be cooked through and lightly golden.
- Slice into 4 equal sized squares and serve with your choice of sides.
- I paired mine with egg, potato hash brown and homemade tomato relish.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 246Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 2.2gCholesterol 98.4mgSodium 411.6mgCarbohydrates 12.2gFiber 2.5gSugar 7.3gProtein 39.4g