One Pot Turkey Swedish Meatball Pasta - delicious flavoursome swedish meatballs made with lighter ground turkey in a creamy style sauce with pasta.
Turkey Swedish Meatballs
My kids are often my inspiration for recipes, as most are usually created by saying "what do you fancy for dinner?" and tonight their request was meatballs. So with Turkey mince in the fridge that needed to be used and a spotting of the lingonberry jam in the fridge shelf. I knew Turkey Swedish Meatballs was a must.
Combine that with some pasta in the pantry cupboard and a simple one pot recipe just seemed the best option. Creamy dreamy and delicious.
One Pot Swedish Meatball Pasta Recipe
Have I mentioned how much I love one pot recipes? They are such easy meals to cook and if it results in less washing up at the end of a busy day, then for me that is a bonus.
Hence why I have many yummy One Pot Recipes right here on Slimming Eats
Although for this recipe we do use a tray for the meatballs, because it's lined with parchment, it means it's super easy to clean up afterward. Then we use a deep frying pan for the final one pot swedish meatballs past recipe, as the wider circumference ensures the pasta cooks perfectly and quickly.
Other Substitutes for Ground Turkey (Mince)
Don't fancy ground turkey? Not a problem, any ground meat will work well in this recipe. The most obvious choice being Chicken or Beef.
I recommend using stock to compliment the meat you use, so if you do decide on ground beef (beef mince) use beef stock instead of chicken, it will really enhance the flavour of the beef meatballs in this recipe.
You could even use a combination of pork and beef , pork and chicken and so on. So many options!!
Can I use Quark in Swedish Meatballs?
Please don't, quark is more sour in taste and is not great with high temperatures, so you can guarantee as soon as you add it to the one pot pasta dish, it will split and just won't give the same Creamy flavour you get with low fat cream cheese. Cream cheese melts wonderfully and goes all silky and creamy when used in recipes so is more ideal. I use low fat Philadelphia. But a store brand option is perfectly fine too.
Do you have to use Breadcrumbs in the Meatballs?
The key to making tender delicious meatballs is by using breadcrumbs, seriously it really makes such a difference.
Ever formed meatballs by just using the meat and seasoning, cooked them to then discover they have shrunk to almost nothing or fallen apart because you added too many mix-in ingredients? That’s pretty typical.
When you drop bread into a liquid, it swells into almost double it’s size, right? Well, that’s exactly what breadcrumbs do when added to the ground meat for meatballs or meatloaf. Meaning they stay lovely and tender and are never dry.
Omit them if you really want to, but just be aware that the final result of the meatballs is not going to be as good in this recipe.
You might want to add something else in for some moisture, like some grated zucchini) courgette or even mushrooms pulsed in a food processor. Just make sure you squeeze out any excess liquid from the zucchin if you use it.
My liquid is taking ages to reduce?
If this is happening, then you need to turn up the heat, this cooks super fast once you add the pasta and meatballs in to the boiling hot stock, so if your pasta is taking ages to cook and the liquid is not reducing down, the heat is too low. The stock should be bubbling away.
Sides for Swedish Meatballs Pasta
Pair this yummy one pot pasta recipe with any vegetable sides of your choice. I went for some simple zucchini (courgette) which I sauteed in olive oil spray with some black pepper and garlic, finish it off with a dollop of lingonberry sauce, because you can't have Swedish Meatballs without Lingonberry Sauce, right? I get mine from Ikea of course, but a cranberry sauce is a perfect replacement too.
Other vegetable suggestions to pair with this are:
- Grilled or Roasted Asparagus
- Steamed or Roasted Broccoli
- Sauteed Kale
- Sauteed Spinach
- Sauteed or Grilled Mushrooms
More Recipes for Ground Turkey (Turkey Mince) Recipes:
Wondering what else you can make with some ground turkey (turkey mince)? Check out the following recipes:
- TURKEY RICE BURRITO BOWLS
- PASTA CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (swap chicken for turkey)
- TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES (GLUTEN FREE)
- CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN MEATBALL PASTA (GLUTEN FREE AND DAIRY FREE) (swap chicken for turkey)
- GROUND TURKEY VEGETABLE BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT TURKEY TACO SOUP
- TURKEY CHILLI
- SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY MEATBALLS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
For the meatballs
- 455g (1lb) extra lean ground turkey (mince)
- 30g (1oz) of white breadcrumbs (not panko)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of nutmeg
- cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
For the pasta and sauce
- 4 cups (960ml) of chicken stock,
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce,
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- couple of sprigs of fresh thyme
- 250g (9oz) of uncooked pasta (I used Campanelle)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoon of low fat cream cheese
- ½ cup (120ml) of skimmed milk
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan 180c/ 400f gas mark 6
- Add all the ingredients for the meatballs to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Form into 24 equal size meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray and bake for 15 minutes, this helps them keep a perfect shape and not fall apart in the sauce.
- Add the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion granules, garlic, sprigs of fresh thyme and black pepper to a deep frying pan, Once boiling add in the pasta and meatballs and allow to bubble until the liquid is almost absorbed (approx 10 minutes)
- Then stir in the cream cheese and milk, until the cream cheese is all melted into a creamy sauce that coats the pasta and meatballs.
- Taste and season with more salt and black pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3.5 per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 9 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 9 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 9 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Latest 3pc Plastic Measuring Jug Set - Large 4-Cup (1 Litre), 2-Cup (500ml) and Small 1-Cup (250 ml) - Microwave Safe - Clear, Easy to Read Measurements - Cook with Accuracy
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 473Total Fat 7.1gSaturated Fat 2.3gCholesterol 120mgSodium 526mgCarbohydrates 57.9gFiber 0.3gSugar 4.4gProtein 41.5g