Delicious Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties - tasty simple ingredients and the perfect way to start the day with your choice of eggs or other breakfast sides.
Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties
I'm forever searching for the perfect breakfast sausage, that is made from minimal ingredients, don't use fillers and are low in syns and calories and these are now definitely at the top of my list. Best of all they are homemade and are perfect for batch cooking for the week or popping in the freezer.
Not that any ever make it to the freezer.
The only mistake that comes with making these, is not doubling up the recipe to make a bigger batch, because my kids scoff these faster than I can get them on the plate. Muttering that these are the best breakfast patties I have ever made. What a compliment eh?
Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausages
Maple syrup might seem like the oddest ingredient to add to a sausage patty and take me back a few years and I might have agreed with you. But I have since realized there is a reason sugar is included in the best tasting sausages. It helps the meat to caramelize and keeps them super tender and delicious.
I know I do tend to have a bit of an obsession with maple syrup, but what can I say, I do live in Canada and it's a staple here, not to forget it tastes amazing drizzled over these American Style Pancakes!!.
If you don't have maple syrup on hand, don't go buying some specially, regular brown sugar or even honey will work the same too. One thing I must note, however, is do not try replacing it with sweetener, just no, it's not the same, it won't caramelize and just no!!! Really what are you saving anyway? It's just a couple of syns, it's not worth trying to compromise on flavour just for the sake of saving a few syns.
Making Turkey Breakfast Sausages
As I mentioned, just a handful of simple ingredients are included in this recipe. The main one, of course, is the Extra Lean Turkey Mince.
Adding some sauteed vegetables to the patties will also help keep them tender, so keeping it simple I just went for some sauteed finely diced onion and garlic
Making use of the fresh herb growing in my garden, I also grabbed a handful of some fresh golden sage, a perfect ingredient for breakfast sausage as it adds amazing flavour (use a pinch of ground sage if it's all you have, but fresh is better) and lastly is just paprika and salt
Best Type of Pan for cooking Sausages
Have I ever mentioned how much I love cast iron cookware? Most definitely!! Le Creuset, Staub and Lodge are some of my favourites.
But for these sausages, my favourite choice has to be my basic Lodge cast iron skillet. When any meat needs a decent sear or browning, it's my go-to. Steak, sausages, chicken, the lot. It's just the best!!
You can get lots of different sizes including casserole pots by Lodge. But I always grab my 30cm Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet. It will last you a lifetime if you look after it correctly.
How to serve these Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausages
Keeping it simple I usually just go for some eggs cooked sunny side up - our favourite kind and toast (Healthy Extra B choice). But scrambled, poached all go amazingly well with these too.
If you love hash browns, these Crispy Golden Hash Browns or Sheet Pan Hash Browns are a yummy addition.
Add to a wholemeal roll or English muffin (Healthy Extra B) with an egg and slice of cheese (as part of your HEa) for a breakfast sandwich.
You can even crumble some of these cooked into an omelette or frittata.
Adding some healthy breakfast veggie sides is another great option and here are some of my favourites:
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Roasted Paprika Butternut Squash
More recipes for Ground Turkey (Turkey Mince)
- GROUND TURKEY VEGETABLE BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT TURKEY TACO SOUP
- TURKEY RICE BURRITO BOWLS
- SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
- SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY MEATBALLS | SLIMMING WORLD
- TURKEY CHILLI
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1lb (455g) of extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- 1 tbs of fresh chopped sage
- 1 tbs of maple syrup (or use brown sugar or honey)
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray.
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened and golden, using the chicken stock to prevent sticking, add a little bit of the stock at a time and keep reducing down until onions are cooked.
- Then add in the garlic and chopped sage and fry for a further 30 seconds, just to infused flavour. Set aside to cool.
- Add the turkey mince to a bowl, with the sauteed onion mixture, maple syrup, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix till combined.
- Form in to 8 equal sized patties.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat and spray with cooking oil spray.
- Add the patties (4 at a time, don't overcrowd pan) and fry until until golden brown (approx 4 minutes, flip over and repeat on the over side until cooked through. Remove patties and repeat with the remaining 4 patties, once all cooked you can return the other four to the pan to heat up, if serving all at once.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 0.5 syns per serving (2 patties)
- WW Flex/Freestyle Points - 1 per serving (2 patties)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
*suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving (2 patties)
Amount Per Serving Calories 164Total Fat 5.7gSaturated Fat 1.7gCholesterol 68.3mgSodium 787mgCarbohydrates 6.3gFiber 0.5gSugar 4.2gProtein 22.3g