Syn Free Southwestern Turkey Meatballs - delicious turkey meatballs in a amazing spicy Southwestern Style Sauce with black beans, corn and veggies.
Ground turkey can be very lean, especially if it's ground turkey breast and it can therefore be super easy to overcook making it quite dry.
My favourite way to cook ground turkey, is always in a sauce and these Southwestern Turkey Meatballs are one of my favs.
They go perfectly with a variety of sides such as rice or syn free chips. Plus you can control the amount of heat, by how much cayenne pepper you add. So if your kids don't like really spicy, it's easily adjustable to accommodate.
To cook the meatballs I add an egg into the mix, as it is better at helping them to bind together and hold their shape. Just lightly brown them in the pan, then remove and set aside while you make the amazing Southwestern Sauce. Don't worry about the meatballs not being fully cooked when lightly browning, as they will finish off cooking in the sauce where they will take on all the amazing flavours. Keeping them nice and moist.
I like to cook the Southwestern Turkey Meatballs in my Cast Iron Skillet. I love cast iron cooking. You can use it stove top and transfer to oven if needed. This dish doesn't use the oven, but it's great for if you are adding some cheese or similar and want to lightly melt until the grill or in the oven - yum!!! Did someone mention cheese?
We as a family love meatballs, and there are some really yummy ones to choose from:
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Apricot Chicken Meatballs
- Syn Free Vegetarian Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Quinoa Meatballs in a Veggie Sauce
- Swedish Meatballs and Gravy
- Low Syn Moussaka Meatballs
- Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Lamb Meatballs with a Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
as well as myFULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ delicious Slimming World Recipes.
I also love the black beans in these Southwestern Turkey Meatballs, black beans are a great source of fibre and protein. They are actually one of my favourite legumes to use in recipes. If you haven't tried them you really need to add them to the list. There are some amazing black bean recipes out there.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THESE SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY MEATBALLS?
There is lots of vegetables such as onion, peppers, zucchini and passata in that amazing sauce in these Southwestern Turkey Meatballs, but if you want to increase your speed foods even more. Try serving with this Roasted Cauliflower Rice instead of regular rice or some veggie chips instead of Syn Free Chips. You could also just go for a side salad and a bowl of these meatballs, perfectly fine to eat these meatballs on their own in a bowl, if you ask me.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY MEATBALLS YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- cast iron skillet or deep frying pan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date with all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Syn Free Southwestern Turkey Meatballs | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points - 5 per serving
*suitable for freezing
For the meatballs:
- 500g (17.5oz) of Extra Lean Ground Turkey or Chicken
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons of tomato paste
- salt and black pepper
- 1 egg
For the sauce:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper - add more or less depending on how spicy you like it.
- 2 teaspoons of sweetener - I use sukrin (optional)
- 1 cup (240ml) of passata
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 2.5 cups (600ml) of chicken stock
- ½ cup (120ml) of frozen sweetcorn
- 400g (14oz) tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- fresh coriander
- cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper
- In a bowl add the ground turkey, onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste, salt, black pepper and egg.
- Work together well, then form into meatballs (approx 16)
- Spray a skillet over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, lightly brown the meatballs just for a couple of minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Spray the skillet with more cooking oil spray, add the onion, celery and carrot and and fry for approx 5 mins.
- Add the garlic, peppers, and jalapeno and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the spices, passata, tomato paste, sweetener and stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add back in the meatballs, black beans and corn and simmer for 20 mins.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!!
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving (approx 4 meatballs with sauce)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 117 mg
Sodium 785 mg
Total Carbohydrates 42 g
Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 43.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.