Southwestern Turkey Meatballs - delicious turkey meatballs in a amazing spicy Southwestern Style Sauce with black beans, corn and veggies.
My favourite way to cook ground turkey, is always in a sauce and these Southwestern Turkey Meatballs are delicious.
They go perfectly with a variety of sides. Plus you can control the amount of heat, by how much cayenne pepper you add. So if your kids don't like really spicy, it's easily adjustable to accommodate.
Making Turkey Meatballs
Ground Turkey or Turkey mince can sometimes be a bit dry especially if you are buying really lean like 98% fat free. I personally don't like to go any leaner than 5% fat when making meatballs or burgers.
I add in a small amount of breadcrumbs and an egg along with the seasonings just to keep them tender and then part bake them in the oven, to give them a lightly golden exterior.
Substitutes for Breadcrumbs in Meatballs
If you don't want to use breadcrumbs in the meatballs, you can keep them tender by adding in a little grated courgette (zucchini) or some mushrooms with you pulse fine in a food processor. You don't want to add too much or the meatballs will fall apart.
Skip the egg if you are adding courgette or mushrooms as it's not needed.
However I still prefer the final result with breadcrumbs, so it's worth using them if you can.
I prefer to part cook the meatballs by baking them in the oven before dropping them into the sauce.
You can pan fry them in some spray oil, but I find it's hard to get the perfect even colour all over them and they don't hold that perfect round shape.
Baking them in the oven on a little parchment paper gives them a lovely golden colour all over and they stay perfectly round.
Can I use other ground meat (mince) for Meatballs?
Yep, you sure can. If you don't like or fancy Turkey, then any mince will work. Beef, chicken or even pork. Lamb would be a bit too rich tasting for this dish so I don't recommend it. But any of the others are fine.
Sides for Southwestern Turkey Meatballs.
Pretty much anything will go with these meatballs, potato wedges, homemade oven chips, rice, or even a baked potato.
My favourite items to serve with these are:
Cooked Long Grain Rice, Avocado, Lime Wedges and some coriander.
If you are want to go a bit lighter on the carbs for a side dish, then this Roasted Cauliflower Rice is perfect.
or if you want a rice with a bit more flavour then this Lime Cilantro Rice is yummy with these meatballs
Some soured cream is a great addition to these too as well as some grated cheddar.
More Meatball Recipes
If you love meatballs here are some other delicious recipes you can make:
- Chicken Meatballs in Hoisin Sauce
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Meatball Pasta (Gluten Free and Dairy Free)
- One Pot Turkey Swedish Meatball Pasta
- Lamb Meatballs with Mint Gravy
- Moussaka Meatballs
- Lamb Meatball and Bean Curry
- Easy Chicken Meatball Cassoulet
- Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce
- Porcupine Meatballs
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs (Instant Pot and Stove Top)
- Coconut Beef Meatball Curry
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
or if you would like more Slimming Friendly recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
Slimming World, Weight Watchers and Calorie Counting Friendly
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
For the meatballs:
- 500g (17.5oz) of Extra Lean Ground Turkey or Chicken
- ⅓ cup of breadcrumbs (30g)
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons of tomato paste
- salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
For the sauce:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper - add more or less depending on how spicy you like it.
- 2 teaspoons of sweetener - I use erythritol
- 1 cup (240g) of passata
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 160g of sweetcorn (canned), drained
- 200g black beans (canned), drained and rinsed
- fresh coriander
- cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c fan, 400f or gas mark 6
- In a bowl add the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste, salt, black pepper and egg.
- Work together well, then form into 16 meatballs
- Place meatballs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, spray over the top with spray oil and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden and set aside.
- Spray a deep large frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, add the onion, and carrot and fry for approx 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic, peppers, and jalapeno and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the spices, passata, tomato paste, sweetener and stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add back in the meatballs along with the black beans and sweet corn and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sauce reduces down and thickens.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for recipe values:
This recipe is gluten free and dairy free friendly (see notes)
- Slimming World: - 1.5 syn per serving
- WW Personal Points: 2+ per serving (add ingredients to your WW diary for points value - as this may vary depending on your personal points zero foods)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock and breadcrumbs
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
Slimming Eats is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World or Weight Watchers. We recommend that you consult with a Slimming World or WW Consultant to verify accuracy of values at a group meeting or through an online subscription to those plans.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
All-Clad Essentials Nonstick Skillet set, 4-Piece, Grey
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving (approx 4 meatballs with sauce)
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 85mgSodium 600mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 9gSugar 11gProtein 38g
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.