These Tender Oven Baked Chicken Meatballs are served in delicious spicy but sweet, tangy Buffalo Sauce - an addictive recipe for those who love a bit of heat in their meals.
I recently introduced my 15 year old to Frank's Hot Sauce, he's been on a bit a of spicy kick recently when it comes to food, so has been wanting all things spicy.
After my recent Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake recipe, he has been adding hot sauce to everything - eggs, grilled cheese. I even watched him drizzling it on popcorn (not sure about that one, but he loved it). Another buffalo inspired recipe just seemed and must and if there is one thing my kids love, it's meatballs. So Buffalo Sweet and Spicy Meatballs is was.
What is Hot Sauce for Buffalo Chicken Recipes?
Well that's pretty easy - it's got to be Frank's Red Hot Sauce, but really any hot sauce will do.
In the UK it should be available at most grocery stores. See stockists here - but as an alternative any brand of hot sauce will do. Just be aware that some are much hotter than others. So you may want to add a little bit at a time and keep tasting until it's your desired heat.
What Ingredients are in Buffalo Sweet and Spicy Chicken Meatballs?
This meatball recipe does not contain anything too complicated. To keep the meatballs juicy and tender, I always like to add some breadcrumbs and an egg to the mix, it locks in the moisture and juices and stops them drying out. Along with those I also like to add in some sauteed very finely chopped onion and carrot. It's a great way to sneak some veggies into a dish too.
The sauce is simple - hot sauce, apricot jam (although any similar jam will work - mango, pineapple etc), tomato puree (paste) and water. That's it. Easy eh?
Can I use another ground meat (mince) for meatballs?
I used chicken as it's what my kids like the most for meatballs, but turkey or pork mince will work perfectly fine too. I don't recommend beef for this recipe, as it will be a bit too rich and overpower the other flavours.
I also recommend not going any lower than 5% fat mince for these, any less can be a bit dry.
Sides for Buffalo Sweet and Spicy Chicken Meatballs
These will go well with a variety of different sides. I paired them with some cooked rice, and sauteed courgette (zucchini). I just added a little pinch of paprika and salt and black pepper to the zucchini and cooked in a little olive oil spray. Any veggies would pair well though, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, shredded cabbage.
For other sides, some of these are great options:
- Garlic Hasselback Potatoes
- Roasted French Green Beans
- Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Rice
- Creamy Cheesy Vegetable Bake
- Crushed Roast Potatoes
- Lime and Coriander Rice
- Perfect Baked Oven Fries
or just some plain noodles with stir fried veggies is great too.
More Meatball Recipes
Love meatballs? Check out these other recipes:
- Chicken Meatballs in Hoisin Sauce
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Meatball Pasta (Gluten Free and Dairy Free)
- Lamb Meatballs with Mint Gravy
- Moussaka Meatballs
- Saucy Asian Hidden Vegetable Beef Meatballs
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs (Instant Pot and Stove Top)
- Porcupine Meatballs
- Coconut Beef Meatball Curry
- Chicken and Mango Meatballs with a Spicy Mango Sauce
or if you would like more Slimming Friendly recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more..
Slimming World, Weight Watchers and Calorie Counting Friendly
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 80g of onion, finely diced
- 80g of carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (not smoked)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- spray oil
- 500g (17.5oz) of 5% fat ground chicken (mince) - can also use pork or turkey
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon onion granules (or powder)
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules (or powder)
- ⅓ cup (30g) of original breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Spray oil
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup (60ml) of hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) of apricot jam (can use pineapple, mango or similar jam)
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree (paste)
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sweetener (I use erythritol)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c fan, 400f or gas mark 6
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and paprika to the frying pan and using the ½ cup of stock, add in a little bit at a time, reducing off completely before adding another little bit, until the onion, carrot and garlic are really softened. Make sure you cook off all stock before next step.
- Add this to the a large bowl along with the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, black pepper, chilli flakes, onion and garlic granules and mix to combine, spray a little spray oil into hands and then form in 20 meatballs.
- Line a baking with parchment paper and place the meatballs on the tray, spray over the top with cooking oil spray and bake for 12 minutes until lightly golden, remove from oven and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a frying pan and whisk until the jam dissolves into the liquid and starts to thicken, then drop in the meatballs and continue to bubble on a medium high heat until sauce is glossy and coats the meatballs.
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions.
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!!
Please see below for recipe values:
This recipe is gluten free and dairy free friendly
- Slimming World: - 4 syns per serving
- WW Personal Points: 4+ per serving (add ingredients to your WW diary for points value - as this may vary depending on your personal points zero foods)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free breadcrumbs and stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
Side Suggestion: great with rice, noodles, potatoes and any green veg (broccoli, zucchini, green beans etc)
Low Carb Sides: enjoy with some Roasted Cauliflower Rice and sauteed zucchini
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
Slimming Eats is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World or Weight Watchers. We recommend that you consult with a Slimming World or WW Consultant to verify accuracy of values at a group meeting or through an online subscription to those plans.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Frank's Hot Sauce
Wüsthof CLASSIC Santoku Knife
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Nordic Ware 43100 Aluminum Half Sheet Baking Sheet, 33x45.72x2.54 CM
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
All-Clad Essentials Nonstick Skillet set, 4-Piece, Grey
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 273Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 122mgSodium 539mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2gSugar 14gProtein 28g
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.