Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside with the delicious flavours of garlic and herbs make these the perfect side for a variety of main meals.
Perfect Roast Potatoes
When looking for a recipe for the perfect roast potato, you will find so many different variations and methods. But the key to a crispy roast potato is parboiling. It may be a step you just want to skip to save time, but trust me when I say you just won't get that same extra crisp exterior on the outside if you do.
What parboiling does is softens the potato just enough so that you can rough up the exterior in a sieve, this then enables the spray oil to really grip to the potato and make it get that lovely golden colour. Parboiling also creates a layer of starch on the exterior of the potato which again also helps to crisp up your potato.
It's a method I never ever skip if I want a really crispy golden roast potato or chip etc.
The Best Potatoes for Roasting
Here in North America my favourite choice of potatoes are either Russets or Yukon Golds. The latter being my preferred choice because they have a lovely golden yellow colour to the flesh and an amazing buttery flavour.
In the UK a similar variety to Yukon Gold's would be Elfe Potatoes. Other great choices are Maris Piper or King Edwards.
Can I cook these in an Air Fryer or Actifry?
Yes, they can, I still recommend following the parboiling stage, but you can then add them to your actifry or airfryer for the roasting part.
Actifry's are great as it takes all the hard work out of having to rotate all the potatoes on the tray. However, I do prefer these done in the oven, as you really have to ensure you don't over parboil for the actifry otherwise it crushes the potatoes as they cook.
Parchment Paper for Roasting
You may be wondering why I use parchment paper. There are a few reasons I choose to use it, firstly when using cooking oil sprays they don't tend to grease a tray as much as regular oil and so it prevents any food from sticking and makes it easier to rotate.
Secondly, it makes for much easier cleaning up afterwards and I hate having to scrub trays. I love cooking but would prefer the cleaning up afterwards to take as less time as possible.
Best Cooking Oil Sprays
You may be wondering the best cooking oil spray to use. My favourite one is Chosen Foods Avocado Oil spray, it doesn't contain any other ingredients or emulsifiers and most non-stick cookware advises against the use of cooking oil sprays with emulsfiers in the ingredients as it can ruining the coating and result in a sticky residue.
Be aware though that not all cooking oil sprays are equal, some do have a syn value.
Generally, I stick to those made of olive, avocado or coconut oil, the latter of the three having a higher smoke point.
Great Recipes to go with Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes
Here are some of my favourite recipes to serve alongside these Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes:
- CREAMY PORK CASSEROLE
- SMOKED PAPRIKA CHICKEN CASSEROLE (INSTANT POT, SLOW COOKER OR STOVE TOP)
- TUSCAN BEEF CASSEROLE (STOVE TOP OR INSTANT POT)
- SLOW COOKER CREAMY TOMATO AND TURKEY CASSEROLE
- PAPRIKA BEEF (SLOW COOKER AND INSTANT POT)
- INSTANT POT HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Originally created on 26th March 2013 and updated on 1st April 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 800g (28oz) of Yukon gold potatoes (or similar variety), peeled and chopped (I like to do these as bite-size cubes)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- a handful of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt
- cooking oil spray (I used Avocado)
- Preheat oven to 220c (fan 200c) or 425f (gas mark 7)
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of water, bring to a boil and once water starts bubbling, turn off the heat and leave for 5 mins.
- Drain water, add half the potatoes to a metal sieve and carefully shake, so it lightly roughs up the potatoes on the edges. Add to a large bowl and repeat with the other half.
- Add the garlic and parsley and a pinch of sea salt to the potatoes with a couple of sprays of cooking oil spray and toss to coat evenly.
- Line a large baking tray with some parchment paper and spread the potatoes out evenly. Spray again over the top with some cooking oil spray.
- Place in the oven and roast until crisp and golden all over (approx 40 mins, turning over halfway and giving another spray of oil if needed.
- Season as needed with sea salt.
- If cooking these in an actifry or airfryer, I recommend omitting the parsley until the last few mins, as it can tend to burn in the actifry if cooked for too long.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 4 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 4 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 0 per serving
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
[New Version]Cymax Food Strainer Set- Premium Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Strainers Sieve,Colanders and Sifters with Long Handle for Tea Pasta Rice Fruits Vegetable
Tefal AH960840 Actifry Genius XL (8 Portions), Healthy Air Fryer, 1.7 Kilograms, Black
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 293mgCarbohydrates 37.5gFiber 4.4gSugar 4.3gProtein 5.9g