Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato and Turkey Casserole - a comforting home-cooked casserole perfect any night of the week and a family favourite.
Slow Cooker Turkey Casserole
Turkey is probably not a regular on my menu I must admit, but when I can get my hands on some turkey thighs this is my go-to dish.
Turkey thighs are perfect for slow cooking, stay nice and tender and absorb all the yummy flavour of whatever you cook them in.
You can buy them already boneless and ready to go or on the bone with skin attached.
Either is perfectly fine, you can even leave it on the bone if you prefer, and just remove the skin and any visible fat to keep it syn free.
What type of Slow Cooker or Crockpot is best?
Personally, you don't need any special or expensive slow cooker, they all do the same job regardless of the price tag.
But I do like the ones where you can use the inner pot of the slow cooker on a stove for searing/browning any ingredients before setting it to cook. Like this Morphy Richards Accents Sear and Stew Slow Cooker.
If you own an Instant Pot, you can also use the Slow Cook feature on that, following the recipe exactly as in the recipe box below, but instant browning using the saute function.
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Slow Cooker to Oven Conversion
I do not own a slow cooker, can this be cooked in the oven? Yes, it sure can, just use an ovenproof casserole dish. Cast iron dutch oven pots are perfect for the oven and you can cook.
For slow cooking on low, you will want to set your oven to 165c (145c if you have a fan oven), 325f or gas mark 3. Then cook for 1.5-2hours following all the browning and additional steps as in recipe box below.
Can I use Chicken instead of Turkey?
If you can't get hold of turkey thighs, then yes chicken thighs are a perfect replacement. You can use chicken breast if you prefer, but I find thigh meat is always best for casseroles of slow-cooked dishes like this Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato and Turkey Casserole because the meat will stay nice and tender.
Breast meat will also cook quicker, so you may need to adjust the timings.
Can I use Quark instead of the Cream Cheese?
Personally, my answer is no. Quark is sour and not creamy at all, plus it has a tendency to split when added to anything hot and the last thing you want to do is ruin this delicious casserole by stirring in some quark at the end.
I recommend using light Philadelphia or a store own brand of low fat/light cream cheese. An ingredient that is perfect for stirring into hot dishes to make a healthier creamy sauce.
Yes, it does have a small syn value, but when divided up into portions, its really not much from your daily allowance and its worth it.
What to serve with this Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato and Turkey Casserole
This recipe comes packed with lots of healthy vegetables like onions, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini (courgette), so I just like to serve this alongside some cooked long-grain rice, perfect for soaking up that amazing creamy sauce.
You can always add some additional vegetables like tender stem broccoli, green beans, asparagus, etc or serve alongside some of this Roasted Cauliflower Rice.
Some other side options we like are:
- Pasta (because well anything creamy goes well with pasta)
- Perfect Oven Baked Chips
- Roast Potatoes
- Crushed Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sour Cream and Spring Onion Cauliflower Mash
- Garlic and Herb Wedges
More Slimming World Slow Cooker Recipes
Love slow cooker recipes like this? Check out some of our others:
- OXTAIL STEW (INSTANT POT AND SLOW COOKER)
- SLOW COOKER ITALIAN CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- PAPRIKA BEEF (SLOW COOKER AND INSTANT POT)
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN MUSHROOM MEATLOAF
- BALSAMIC BRAISED BEEF (STOVE TOP, SLOW COOKER AND INSTANT POT)
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN MEATBALL PASTA BAKE
- HEALTHIER SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 600g (21oz) of turkey thigh or chicken thigh (all visible fat removed), sliced into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 zucchini (courgette), chopped
- 400g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- ½ tsp of oregano
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper to season
- 90g (6 tablespoons) of low fat cream cheese (6 syns)
- a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
- Brown the onion, carrot and garlic in some spray oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add to the slow cooker with the turkey, tomatoes, tomato paste, musrhooms, paprika, thyme, oregano, stock and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours in the slow cooking.
- At 5 hours, spoon some of the sauce into a jug, add the cream cheese and whisk to smooth.
- Pour this into the slow cooker, along with the chopped zucchini (courgette) and leave the lid slightly ajar of the remaining hour (this helps the sauce to thicken more)
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add to the hob once cooked and simmer on a medium-high heat to reduce the sauce down further.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed, sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve and enjoy with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly.
- Slimming World - 1.5 syns per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Points - 4 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten-free stock/broth
- Dairy Free - substitute the low fat cream cheese for ½ cup (120ml) of full-fat coconut milk (adjust syns/points accordingly)
NOTE: Cream cheese can vary in syns, so adjust syns accordingly.
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
Need to convert to oven? Check recipe write up for details.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Latest 3pc Plastic Measuring Jug Set - Large 4-Cup (1 Litre), 2-Cup (500ml) and Small 1-Cup (250 ml) - Microwave Safe - Clear, Easy to Read Measurements - Cook with Accuracy
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Morphy Richards Slow Cooker Sear and Stew 460012 3.5L Black Slowcooker
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 5.6gSaturated Fat 2.1gCholesterol 105mgSodium 386mgCarbohydrates 14.6gFiber 3.7gSugar 8.3gProtein 38.9g