Healthier Slow Cooker Crack Chicken - the ultimate family-friendly creamy chicken recipe topped with the yummy smokey flavour of bacon. Oh my!!
Ever browse recipes on Pinterest and constantly be drawn in by something that looks amazingly delicious? only to then be disappointed by the highly calorific ingredients that would bust your syns allowance for the day.
Crack chicken is a popular dish this side of the Atlantic, in the US and Canada and I regularly see it being made on the Instant Pot community on facebook.
So after finally being able to source some lean back bacon (something which is hard to find where I live in Canada), I set myself the task of creating my own low syn healthier version of Slow Cooker Crack Chicken and oh my gosh is this good.
Traditionally this is often served in a bread type bun or roll, very much like a sloppy joe, except of course it's not tangy tomatoey ground beef, but instead is a creamy calorific shredded chicken in a creamy ranch kind of sauce. Yum!!!
I am not too impressed with most of the ready made ranch seasonings packets you can find in the supermarket, mainly because most contain MSG which is an ingredient that I choose to avoid where possible and therefore homemade ranch seasoning was the best option.
Traditionally ranch dressing or seasoning comes with buttermilk, but as I was using low-fat cream cheese, I figured I would skip that out of my homemade seasoning and keep the syns down.
Usually, we can count cream cheese as a healthy extra, but with the changes coming to the programme in January, cream cheese of any kind will no longer be a healthy extra A choice, so for this recipe, we are synning the cream cheese. I use low fat Philadelphia which here is 1 syn per 15g (one tablespoon), in the UK if you use the Philadelphia lightest, it is only 1.5 syns per 30g, so a little less than the one I use.
Obviously, the syn calculations on this recipe, are going by the ingredients I use, so adjust and calculator the syns for the ingredients you use if you are using a variation on that.
You can also use store brand cream cheese, it doesn't need to be only Philadelphia, just make sure you do not, however, use quark, as it won't work in this recipe, will split the sauce and will not yield the same taste.
When it comes to how to serve this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken, you can still serve it in a bread roll if that's what you fancy, by using a 60g Wholemeal Roll which is a healthy extra B choice. Other than that, this will pair really well with so many different sides from rice, potatoes (mashed, roasted, steamed) or even syn free chips or pasta - yum!!!
The chicken is super tender from being cooked slowly on a low heat. Which is often hard to accomplish with Chicken Breast. I just recommend not leaving on the keep warm setting for a long period of time once it has completed cooking if you can, as the long it sits it will start to dry out the meat.
Slow cookers or crock pots are such a great kitchen item to have, especially if you live a busy lifestyle. One like this Morphy Richards Sear and Stew Digital Slow Cooker is a great option because it means the inner dish is safe to use on the hob if you need to brown anything before setting it to slow cook.
But if you own an Instant Pot you can also use the slow cooker function to cook this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken.
Wondering what an Instant Pot is - It is basically a 7in1 cooker, and it slow cooks, pressure cooks, saute’s, has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge and even makes yoghurt (I haven’t tried that yet).
Looking for some other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes? Check out these:
- Chicken and Spinach Curry
- Syn Free Chicken and Cauliflower Curry
- Diet Coke Chicken
- Syn Free Curried Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup
- Syn Free Chicken, Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry (Stove Top and Instant Pot)
- Slow Cooked Chicken
- Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole
- Syn Free Chicken and Baked Bean Casserole
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 850+ delicious Slimming World Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn values, WW Smart Points etc
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken?
I served mine with some roasted asparagus. I just trim a bunch of fresh asparagus, add to an oven proof dish and spray with olive oil cooking oil spray, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and then roast until slightly browned on edges and tender. So yummy. This will literally serve well with any greens of your choice.
What Kitchen items do I need to make this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken?
- Measuring Scales
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
- Frying Pan
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 😘
- 800g of chicken breast, sliced into tenders
- 200g of low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock (hot)
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- ½ tsp of dried dill
- ½ tsp of dried chives
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- 8 slices of lean back bacon, chopped
- fresh chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray (if the slow cooker pot is hob safe you can use the inner pot of your slow cooker)
- Add the shallots and garlic and fry for a minute or so to infuse the garlic, add in a little bit of water to prevent sticking if needed and fry until softened.
- Add this in the slow cooker, with the cream cheese, stock, dried parsley, dill, chives, onion powder and garlic powder and whisk until all combined and no lumps of cream cheese remain.
- Place in the chicken breasts, set to low for 5 hours, slightly ajar lid for the last hour to help the sauce thicken.
- When the chicken has almost finished cooking in the slow cooker, spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray add the chopped bacon and fry until golden all over.
- Once chicken is finished the time in slow cooker, roughly shred the chicken into the sauce with two forks and stir in the bacon.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 2.5 per serving
- WW Smart Points - 3 per serving
*Suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 3.6gSaturated Fat 1.3gCholesterol 19mgSodium 529mgCarbohydrates 3.3gFiber 0.1gSugar 2.7gProtein 35.7g