Chicken and Baked Bean Casserole - fall off the bone meat, tender pieces of chicken with delicious vegetables of carrots and new potatoes in a rich baked bean and tomato sauce.
Warming Hearty Chicken Casserole
The summer holidays are over, kids are back to school and it's time to dig out the slow cookers and casserole pots as we slowly move into Fall.
I love the Fall season - soups, stews, casseroles, all those yummy comforting plates of food. There is nothing nicer than digging into a hearty bowl of stew or casserole on a cold fall or winters day, and this casserole with pieces of chicken, delicious chunks of new potatoes, baby carrots and then that rice sauce made with baked beans and tomatoes ticks every box.
Best Cut of Chicken For Casseroles
While it can be tempting to use chicken breast for casseroles when we are trying to be healthier and reduce our calories in take, breast meat just doesn't yield the same delicious result when it comes to a casserole that's been cooking in the crockpot all day or slow cooked in a cast iron pot or oven.
Chicken Thighs or Meat on the bone is always the best choice in my opinion, and you can make it a leaner cut of meat by removing the skin and any visible fat.
If you have ever made homemade chicken broth or stock you will know that the best flavoured stock comes from cuts of meat that are on the bone. It just releases more flavour from the natural juices and the bones add body and richness to the sauce/gravy. You just will not ever get that result with boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are a great option when you are not keen on chicken on the bone, they still flavour a casserole beautifully, while remaining tender pieces of meat.
Instant Pot Chicken and Baked Bean Casserole
During the summer, there was an awesome deal for an Instant Pot. I have had my eye on these for a while, but hadn't jumped in and ordered one. However, I just couldn't resist the Amazon prime day deal and so I hit add to basket and well you know the rest.
It is basically a 7in1 cooker, and it slow cooks, pressure cooks, sautes, has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge and even makes yoghurt (I haven't tried that yet).
Sides for Chicken and Baked Bean Casserole
Really you could dig into a bowl of this just as it is, it's got vegetables, potatoes and casseroles. But for me I love to add an additional vegetable side, just to bulk out my bowl to a healthy balanced plate of food.
My favourite side to any casserole like this is cooked cabbage with plenty of black pepper.
But there are plenty of other vegetables sides that would pair well with this such as:
- Roasted Peppers and Onions
- Roasted Green Beans
More Chicken Recipes
Looking for some other chicken recipes to try? Check out these:
- CHICKEN DUPIAZA WITH PILAU RICE
- PEACH BARBECUE CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
- LEMON CHILLI CHICKEN
- JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN WITH RICE AND PEAS
- BLACK PEPPER CHICKEN TRAYBAKE
- MOROCCAN CHICKEN WITH ROASTED SWEET POTATO TRAYBAKE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
- 800g (28oz) skinless boneless chicken thighs (or can use drumsticks), raw and trimmed of an visible fat
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g (14oz) of baby carrots
- 400g (14oz) of baby potatoes in skins, halved
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of chicken stock (use just 1 cup for slow cooker or Instant Pot method)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped Italian parsley to decorate
- Spray a deep saucepan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, add the onion and fry until translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further few mins.
- Add in all other ingredients (except the parsley) and a pinch of salt and black pepper bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add in more stock if needed if sauce becomes too thick.
- Stir in some freshly chopped parsley, taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker:
- Select Saute mode on Instant Pot
- Spray with cooking oil spray
- Saute the onion and garlic to soften.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine, season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add lid and set valve to sealing if it is not a self sealing pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook on manual, high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps to signal it has finished cooking, allow it to sit for 10 minutes (natural pressure release). After 10 minutes, you can then carefully turn the steam release handle to the 'venting' position to release any remaining pressure.
- If you want to reduce the sauce down further, you can switch to saute mode and bubble for a few minutes.
- Stir in some fresh parsley, taste and season as need with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- Brown the onion and garlic, then add to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker (you can brown the onion and garlic first if you prefer), season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in some fresh chopped parsley once ready.
- Taste and season as needed with salt and black peppepr
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World – syn free per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 13 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 13 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 11 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
NOTE: Do not use chicken breast for this recipe
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Morphy Richards Slow Cooker Sear and Stew 460012 3.5L Black Slowcooker
Instant Pot Duo V2 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt, 5.5L 1000 W, Brushed Stainless Steel/Black, 220-240v, Stainless Steel Inner Pot
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole, 26 cm - Teal
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 7.5gSaturated Fat 1.8gCholesterol 148mgSodium 950mgCarbohydrates 36.8gFiber 5.4gSugar 7.4gProtein 41.4g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.