Fancy Curry? Serve this delicious Chicken and Spinach Curry for dinner tonight. The whole family will enjoy this.
I love adding spinach to curries, it's a super easy way of adding speed foods to a dish, and so quick too, as it's done in just a couple of minutes, just stir it through any cooked curry or pasta dish till wilted down and you are done.
Plus spinach has lots of vitamins and nutrients, so is a super healthy iron-rich speed food to choose. I always add a bag of spinach to my shopping cart each week when on our grocery shop.
Perfect for breakfast with eggs or sausage, in soups, pasta, raw as a salad and of course in this delicious Chicken and Spinach Curry.
If you are wondering what other recipes you can enjoy that contain spinach, check out some of these:
- Spinach and Feta Frittata
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Chicken and Spinach Curry
- Sausage, Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pie
- Chicken and Spinach Quiche
- Spicy Lentils and Spinach
- Syn Free Sweet Potato and Spinach Frittata
- Syn Free Instant Pot Vegetable Noodle Soup
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX to browse over 700+ delicious Slimming World Recipes.
Whenever I make chicken curry, I prefer thigh meat over chicken breast, it just stays a lot more tender and takes on more of the flavour of the delicious blend of spices.
In this Chicken and Spinach curry, I use ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh green chilli and garam masala (a unique blend of Indian spices, commonly found in curry dishes). These are typical ingredients that you will find in most curry dishes, so if you enjoy curry, I recommend having these spices in your spice cupboard.
It's a cheaper, more budget-friendly option to buy these from an Indian grocer too in large spice bags, rather than little jars from the grocery store. I go through these type of spices far too quickly.
They are slightly bigger than your standard spice jar, so are a better option for storing larger quantities of spices.
Then I love these little chalkboard labels, which you can stick on the jars and write the name of the spice onto the label. I prefer ones with a chalkboard pen, as it doesn’t smudge off as easily as just plain white chalk.
A perfect storage solution for all your spices and they look quite neat and pretty too with the labels. I am a sucker for pretty things.
Instead of chopped tomatoes, I prefer to use passata (or crushed tomatoes) in this Chicken and Spinach Curry, as they make a better gravy to the curry sauce. I hate curry that is too watery.
What Kitchen Items Do I need to make this Chicken and Spinach Curry?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Wooden Spoon
- Deep Saucepan, Instant Pot or slow cooker
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 600g/21oz chicken thighs (all visible fat removed), chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 5 big handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1-2 fresh green chillis, sliced in half lengthways
- ½ tsp of garam masala
- 1 cup (240ml) of passata (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Spray a large frying pan with some cooking oil spray, place over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, fresh ginger, carrot and cook until softened.
- Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned
- Add all the spices and chilli's and mix to evenly coat.
- Add the passata and stock and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for approx 45 mins. Until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced down.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- Set instant pot to saute mode, once hot, spray with cooking oil spray and fry the onion, carrots, garlic and ginger.
- Add the chicken and lightly brown.
- Add all the spices and stir to coat.
- Add the stock and passata.
- Add lid, close valve and set to 8 mins manual high pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Stir in the spinach just till wilted.
- If you prefer to follow the first few steps on the stove and then transfer all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir through spinach when cooked.
This recipe is Dairy Free, Paleo, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points - 3
- Paleo - use ghee and serve with Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
Add a more authentic Indian taste by using 1 tablespoon of ghee (6 syns) instead of cooking oil - works out as 1.5 syns per serving.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
Slimming Eats is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World or Weight Watchers. We recommend that you consult with a Slimming World or WW Consultant to verify accuracy of values at a group meeting or through an online subscription to those plans.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 8.3gSaturated Fat 2.2gCholesterol 125mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 12.5gFiber 2.9gSugar 6.1gProtein 31.8g