Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pie with a delicious golden rustic potato topping and creamy sauce this pie makes a perfect family meal.
Potato Topped Chicken Pie
This is such a comforting meal that the whole family will love. Tender pieces of chicken, in a creamy sauce with the goodness of spinach and those rustic golden potatoes for the topping are just heavenly.
Paired up with some green vegetables for the sides, this makes a delicious dig in and help yourself kind of meal.
Best Potatoes for Pies
My favourite time of potatoes to use for this pie is Yukon Golds, you won't find a better potato. Amazing buttery flavour without having to add any button and that beautiful golden colour.
In the UK a similar variety is the Elfe Potato which can be found at which you can find at Aldi or Waitrose. If you struggle to find those too, I do recommend using a waxy variety of potato over floury. It just makes a much nicer topping for this Chicken and Spinach Pie.
Lighter Creamy Sauce
For the creamy sauce, I use low fat cream cheese, milk, stock and some cornstarch it makes an yummy creamy style sauce for much less fat and calories.
I don't recommend using quark instead of the cream cheese, it will split in this pie and doesn't yield the same creamy style sauce.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THIS RECIPE?
Obviously, the spinach in this pie will count towards your ⅓ speed foods, but to increase those to a ⅓ of your plate. I recommend adding some other greens of choice, we went for some steam broccoli and green beans, nice and simple and I just seasoned it with good ole sea salt and black pepper.
If you often feel confused about speed foods. I recommend reading over The Benefit of Speed Foods - it will really help to understand how it works within Slimming World.
More Pie Recipes
Love Pie type recipes like this? There are many similar recipes to be found on Slimming Eats, that really help cure those cravings for a pie when you don't want to waste lots of syns on pastry.
- Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie
- Syn Free Mini Cottage Pies
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Dairy Free Fish Pie
- Cheesy Topped Fish Pie
- Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie
- Lentil Shepherds Pie
- Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie
- Shepherds Pie
- Syn Free Cottage Pie
- Cheesy Cauliflower Topped Pie
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Individual Pies perfect for Freezing
Making this for less than 4 people? Make it up in smaller single serving dishes and then you can freeze the other portions, you will be thankful to have them in your freezer for a quick meal to put in the oven on a busy hectic day.
You could even freeze it with your serving of ⅓ speed foods to save even more time. Just ensure you choose a vegetable that will cook well in the oven with the pie. Broccoli is perfect roasted and is one of my favourites.
- 500g (17.5oz) of uncooked boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, diced and all visible fat removed
- 800g (28oz)of Yukon golden potatoes(or similar variety of waxy/semi waxy potatoes)
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and black pepper
- 150g (5.5oz) of low fat cream cheese - 10 syns
- 350ml (1.5 cups) of whole milk - 2 HEa's
- 180ml (¾ cups) of chicken stock
- approx 6 cups/handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoons of cornstarch - 1.5 syns
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of water, bring to a boil and simmer till very slightly soft (not too soft that they are mushy) - approx 8-10 mins
- Drain and rough up with a fork and set aside.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil, add the chicken, season with salt and black pepper and cook until pieces are golden all over.
- Remove and set aside, add the onion and garlic and a little of bit of the stock and fry until translucent.
- Add in the cream cheese, milk and stock and whisk till smooth.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water to make a slurry, pour this into the sauce and allow to simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens from the cornstarch. (approx 10 minutes)
- Add back in the chicken and stir in the spinach. It will seem a lot, but once you start stirring it in, it wilts down to hardly anything.
- Add the chicken and sauce to a an ovenproof dish. Top with the rustic potatoes. Season over top with salt and black pepper.
- Spray over the top with spray oil, and place in the oven and bake until the potatoes are a lovely golden colour (approx 40 mins)
- Serve with your choice of vegetables.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - ½ HEa and 3 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 8 per serving (using chicken breast)
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per serving (using chicken breast)
- WW Purple Smart Points - 6 per serving (using chicken breast)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 440Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 2.8gCholesterol 91mgSodium 508mgCarbohydrates 49.6gFiber 5.7gSugar 12.9gProtein 41.7g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.