Yummy Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie (Minced Beef Hotpot) - a delicious family meal of minced beef in a yummy gravy with vegetables topped with golden potato slices.
Minced Beef Hotpot
We all love a cottage or shepherd's pie, but sometimes you just don't fancy the mash topping, right?
This Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie is delicious and super easy to make, based on the popular Lancashire Hotpot recipe but uses Ground beef (Beef Mince) instead of cuts of meat like beef, mutton or lamb or sometimes even offal like kidneys.
Beef Mince (ground beef) is a budget-friendly ingredient and is family-friendly and we all love a meal that the whole family can dig in and enjoy.
There is one ingredient I like to add to this, that you either love or hate - the good ole marmite!! It adds a lovely flavour to the gravy, but if you really really detest the stuff, just leave it out, it won't affect the flavour I promise. Although even if you hate the stuff you probably won't even realize it is added into this recipe.
What it does is adds a great boost of umami to this gravy of this dish, and gives the gravy that yummy rich flavour.
What is Umami?
Umami is described as the fifth taste along with sweetness, saltiness, sourness and bitterness and is defined as a "pleasant savoury taste" in foods.
Popular ingredients for adding umami to recipes are things like fish sauce, mushrooms, seaweed (nori), soy sauce, miso, kimchi and certain cheeses like parmesan.
What type of Potatoes?
The best type of potatoes to use for this Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie is the floury varieties or ones that are a mix between waxy and floury.
My favourite variety this side of the Atlantic in Canada or the USA is Russet Potatoes or Yukon Golds or in the UK Maris Piper, King Edward or Elfe Varieties..
Sides for Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie
I like to serve this pie alongside some greens like sauteed kale, asparagus, green beans or tender stem broccoli, but it is perfectly filling just as it is.
If you like additional gravy with dishes like this, check out my amazing Syn Free Gravy, perfect for making in advance and freezing in handy portions so you have some on hand whenever you feel like some syn free gravy with a dish.
Also, check out these yummy Side Recipes for additional ideas that you might enjoy to accompany this meal.
More Ground Beef (Beef Mince) Recipes
- CHEESY CAULIFLOWER TOPPED PIE
- ONE POT TACO BEEF RICE SKILLET
- QUICK HOISIN BEEF NOODLE STIR FRY
- BEEF KOFTA TRAY BAKE
- INSTANT POT CHOCOLATE CHILLI
- SLOW COOKER ITALIAN CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- MEGA STUFFED MEATBALLS WITH TOMATO SAUCE
- ONE POT CHEESEBURGER PASTA
- SLOPPY JOES (STOVE TOP AND INSTANT POT)
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally created on 30 January 2012 and updated on the 6 November 2019
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 500g (17.5oz) of extra lean beef mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- ¾ cup (120g) of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups (480ml) beef or vegetable stock
- 1 heaped tsp of marmite (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1kg/2.25lbs of potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- Brown the mince, with the celery, onion, garlic, thyme and carrot.
- Add the beef stock, marmite, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes just for the gravy to reduce down slightly and thicken. Taste gravy for seasoning and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- In the meantime preheat oven to 200c/ 180c FAN/400f (gas mark 6)
- Put meat mixture in an ovenproof dish, add the frozen peas and mix to combine and lay potato slices on top, overlapping potatoes slightly as you layer them on the top of the meat mixture. Spray over the top of the potatoes with some spray oil and bake in the oven for approx 45 minutes, potatoes should be lovely and golden on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley (optional) and season with a little salt and black pepper over the top.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables.
This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 8
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock/broth
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
503 - Service Unavailable Error
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
IKEA MIXTUR - Oven/serving dish, clear glass - 27x18 cm
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 390Total Fat 5.3gSaturated Fat 1.8gCholesterol 75mgSodium 457mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 9.2gSugar 6.9gProtein 35.6g