Make the ultimate SP friendly meal, with this Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie
So it was day 6 of my full Slimming World SP week and I really fancied a cottage pie type dish. Usually I prefer to top with a mixture of regular and sweet potato like in this yummy Syn Free Cottage Pie or a more rustic potato topping like in these Mini Cottage Pies, but of course potatoes are off the menu for a SP day.
I've done swede and carrot or mashed cauliflower toppings before, but really fancied something different tonight. Normally when I feel like that, I browse the fridge and pantry for inspiration.
I love butternut squash, it's such a yummy vegetable, perfect for those carb cravings and best of all it is a speed food too. I have various recipes if you want to give this versatile vegetable a try, like:
- Butternut Squash Fries - great speed alternative to chips
- Bombay Butternut Squash - a perfect side to a curry
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Paprika - loves this with eggs for breakfast
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice - a delicious replacement for rice
- Malaysian Butternut Squash Curry - one of my favourite veggie curries
- Spiralized Butternut Squash and Celeriac - another great speed alternative to chips
- Butternut Squash Soup - delicious and light soup
I figured butternut squash would be a perfect topping for the pie I was craving. However I didn't want to mash it, I love it's flavour when roasted or baked.
I had recently been making some zoodles (spiralized zucchini/courgette) and hadn't yet put away my vegetable spiralizer and so it gave me the genius idea to spiralize the butternut squash for my topping.
I have a counter top spiralizer, which is perfect for spiralizing all kind of different shaped vegetables. It's super useful to have, for making meals interesting when you want to increase your speed foods.
So I spiralized and seasoned some butternut squash, then baked for a little bit before mixing with cheddar and an egg and then using as a topping for this Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie and oh my the result was amazing.
You can eat this just as it is, as it's packed with speed or serve it up with a side of your choice. Hey you don't even have to be doing a Slimming World SP day or week to enjoy this.
- 300g (10.5oz) of extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g (7oz) of carrot, diced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (480ml) of beef stock
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- ½ tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 tbs of cornstarch - 1.5 syns
- 400g (14oz) of butternut squash, spiralized
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 egg
- 60g (2oz) of cheddar, grated (2xHEa's)
- spray oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
- Add the ground beef, onion, garlic and carrots to a frying pan over a medium heat and fry till meat is brown.
- Add the mixed herbs, tomato paste, stock and mushrooms.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water and make into a paste, stir into the meat.
- Bring a boil and then cover and simmer for 30 mins, until meat mixture is lovely a rich. Season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- In the meantime place butternut squash in a bowl, add paprika and some salt and paprika, and mix to coat.
- Spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and spray with spray oil and bake for 15 mins, remove and set aside.
- Add the meat mixture a an ovenproof dish.
- Add the spiralized butternut squash to a bowl.
- Whisk together the cheddar and the egg and then fold into the spiralled butternut squash.
- Top the meat mixture with the butternut squash, place in the oven and bake for 20 mins.
- Topping should be lightly golden.
- Serve with choice of sides.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 539Total Fat 18.5gSaturated Fat 9.2gCholesterol 211mgSodium 871mgCarbohydrates 47.4gFiber 11.4gSugar 14.7gProtein 52.3g