You seriously will not miss the pastry in this amazing Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie
You know those times when you really fancy a pie and are face with the dilemma or whether to use calories on that pastry?
Sadly pastry always works out pretty high calorie, unless you have a teeny amount on the top of your pie and then you almost think, why did I bother?
So I wanted to create a pie topping that didn’t break the bank and so I had the idea to chop some potato into thin matchsticks to use as a pie topping.
This was so delicious the tender creamy chicken underneath with asparagus was a great combination. Of course don’t expect this to be anything like pastry, because it’s just potato, but that said - it is still very good.
Don't fancy Chicken and Asparagus? You could really add any filling to this, chicken and mushroom, steak and onion, minced beef, fish or even make it vegetarian with lots of veggies in a creamy or tomato sauce.
How amazing does that sound?
Looking for some other chicken recipes? Check out these amazing recipes:
- Apricot Chicken Meatballs
- One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Chicken, Feta and Strawberry Salad
- Garlic Chicken and French Bean Tray Bake
- Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Best Ever Chicken Korma
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Feta Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Tandoori Chicken
- Chicken Drumsticks in a Peanut Sauce
- Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake
of check out the FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming Eats recipes.
Deliciously creamy Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie - yum!!
Also because there is no pastry in the Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie, it is also gluten free
I serve this Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie with a side of roasted carrots for some extra speed foods and sweet corn (as the kids love it of course), but any vegetables would go well with this dish.
Chicken and Asparagus ‘No Pastry’ Pie
This recipe is gluten free and Weight Watchers friendly
Gluten Free - ensure ingredients use are free from gluten
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, raw (approx 550g)
- 300g (7oz) of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) of 2% milk
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock
- 4 laughing cow light
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 800g (28oz) of raw potatoes, peeled, julienned or chopped into thin chips
- freshly chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper to season
- pinch of mustard powder
- 1 beaten egg
- Spray oil
- Soak potatoes in warm water to remove starch, drain and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 220c or 425f
- Spray a tray with spray oil, add the potatoes and spray over the top, season well with salt and bake in the oven until for 15 mins, remove and set aside. (don't over cook these, as they will be cooked some more as the pie topping)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the chicken thighs, season with salt and black pepper and fry until lightly golden.
- Add the asparagus, milk, stock, parsley, laughing cow lights and a pinch of mustard powder
- Mix the tapioca starch with a little cold water to a paste and add this into the pan.
- Gently bring to a boil until it starts to slightly thicken.
- Season with a little salt and black pepper
- Add to a oven proof dish and then top with the potatoes. Brush over the top with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for approx 40 mins. Potatoes on top should be nice and lightly golden.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 431Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 266mgSodium 773mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 38g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
Tania Cowlin says
Made this today. What a delicious meal.
Full of flavour.
Really enjoyed it !!
I made this last night and used up some leftover chicken from a roast. It’s a bit of a fiddle cutting the potatoes so thin but well worth it. It was really delicious and my husband loved it. I forgot to take a photo as we got stuck in straight away lol!