A delicious and hearty flavoursome soup with chicken and cubes of butternut squash, flavoured with curry spices.
Chicken Butternut Squash Soup
This is one of those soups where you combine some tasty and wholesome ingredients into a pot. Season with different spices. Let it do its work and voila a pot of comforting goodness that will keep you well fueled on cold winter or busy days.
It's an awesome soup for freezing. So feel free to double or even triple up the ingredients for this Curried Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup and then you will have plenty left over to freeze up in handy little tubs.
Whenever I make soup I always start off with a base of onion, carrots and garlic (occasionally leeks or celery too). Then I select whatever spices/seasonings I think will compliment the main ingredients of the soup I am making. As I was adding chicken and butternut squash, I decided a curry type flavour would be perfect.
Bulking out Soup
Usually when making soup, if I am not adding protein or some sort then I will usually add a grain or some legumes to bulk it up, but this one really doesn't need any extras.
Best of all, this Curried Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup is gluten and dairy free and because it is lighter on the carbs, you get a nice filling bowl for not many calories.
More Soup Recipes
If you love soup recipes like this Curried Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup, check out these other yummy recipes:
- Turkey Taco Soup
- Spicy Roasted Parsnip and Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegetable and Pearl Barley Soup
- Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup
- Chicken, Bean and Rice Soup
- Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Split Pea and Bacon Soup
- Spicy Sweet Potato, Red Pepper and Carrot Soup
- Carrot and Butter Bean Soup
- Sweetcorn and Leek Soup
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 1000 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more..
All with full estimated nutritional information at the bottom of the recipe box
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 340g (12oz) of raw skinless chicken breast (or can use 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped (approx 800g/28oz whole)
- 1.5 tablespoon of curry powder (use mild, medium or hot depending on your spice level)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 6 cups (1.4 litres) of chicken stock
- salt and pepper to season
- spray oil
- freshly chopped coriander (to garnish)
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the chicken and cook till lightly golden and cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Spray the pan with a little more spray oil and add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry till softened. Add the turmeric and continue to fry for a additional minute.
- Add the carrots, butternut squash, curry powder, tomato paste a little bit of the stock and stir to coat.
- Add all the stock, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for approx 45 mins (until all veg is softened)
- With a stick blender, roughly blend part of the soup (still leaving some chunks of veg)
- Shred up the pieces of chicken and add back to the soup and simmer for approx 8-10 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Please see below for details about recipe:
- WW Personal Points: add ingredients to your WW diary for points value - as this may vary depending on your personal points zero foods)
- Dairy Free Friendly
- Gluten Free Friendly - use gluten free stock
Slow cooker - cook for 6 hours on low
Instant Pot - set to saute mode, brown chicken and onions, then add all over ingredients and cook on high for 8 minutes, once it has finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally. Roughly blend or mash up some of the butternut squash if you wish to thicken the soup.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 79mgSodium 674mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 8gSugar 9gProtein 25g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.