Delicious Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake - tender chicken thighs with roasted butternut squash, juicy leeks and a cheesy parmesan topping.
Butternut Squash as a Lower Calorie Alternative
If you struggle to do lower carb or low calorie meals because you think you will miss some of the foods that are off limits, then you just have to try this Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake.
Those flavours will have you wondering why you don't do lower carb days more often, just so you can make this dish.
Butternut squash is a great substitute for things like potatoes in a recipe and it's filling too.
Butternut Squash Recipes
Butternut Squash as a vegetable is so underrated. I have to buy at least one a week, because they are so versatile and can create many delicious dishes. Some of my favourites are:
- Butternut Squash Fries
- Roasted Paprika Butternut Squash
- Creamy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
- Spaghetti with Roasted Butternut Squash Sauce
- Chicken and Rice Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Chicken, Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup
with many more delicious Butternut Squash Recipes for you to try.
Ghee for Cooking
I use ghee for infusing the garlic and herb flavour into the dish. You can use butter or even olive oil if you do not have ghee. If you want to keep it lower calories then by all means use spray oil, but that flavour is worth it in my opinion.
Incase you are wondering what ghee it. It's a clarified butter, which is a great fat for cooking with, it's natural and can be heated to high temps without going rancid like many man made oils. It's one of my favourite fats to cook with and well worth the 130 calories for 1 tablespoon, as that tablespoon will go a long way.
Can I add a more filling side?
You won't believe how delicious the sauce is on this Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake, that gets it's flavour from the infused ghee/butter and the sweeteness of that butternut squash.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, raw
- 3 large leeks, sliced
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 90g (3oz) of parmesan, freshly grated
- handful Fresh Parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- Black pepper
- 240ml (1 cup) of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
- Cut all the chicken thighs in half, to make small pieces.
- Add the ghee or butter to a frying over a medium heat with the garlic and a little bit of chopped parsley and thyme and fry for a 1-2 minutes just to infuse the flavour
- Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly golden.
- Set aside
- Add the onion and butternut squash and cook until the squash starts to soften. Add a little bit of the chicken stock at time, to prevent any from sticking to the pan.
- Add the chopped leeks to the pan, and continue to cook for approx 2 mins.
- Transfer the chicken, leeks, onion and squash to an oven proof dish. Pour over the remaining chicken stock, just to keep the dish moist. Top with the parmesan cheese and season with some salt black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for approx 30 mins, chicken should be cooked through and cheese melted and lightly golden.
- Serve with your choice of sides, but this dish is perfectly delicious all on it's own.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 426Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 224mgSodium 452mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 45g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.