Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup - great way to use up some leftover cooked chicken
This soup combines 3 things that I really love - curry, butternut squash and coconut. It is spicy while having a lovely sweet undertone. My kids love this.
It would also be great for using up some leftover cooked turkey from Christmas day or if you are vegetarian, use vegetable stock and omit the chicken altogether for a delicious vegetarian friendly soup.
I blend the Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup using my awesome new Ninja Duo Blender with Auto IQ technology that you can see below. It is a super clever blender that features intelligent programs that combine pulsing and blending patterns, meaning no having to guess how long to pulse or blend etc.
It's amazing. I just put the cooked ingredients for the soup into the blender, press the Auto IQ puree button (which is for soups) and it blends to a set pattern to produce a lovely smooth soup. Awesome!!
For the coconut milk I use a canned Light Coconut milk, you could use the cartoned Coconut Milks that you can get, but the ratio of water in those is pretty high and you won't get that same silkiness. The light Coconut milk doesn't work out too bad syn wise when this soup is divided into portions.
For the broth/stock for this soup I use some of my Homemade Chicken Bone Broth, it's super easy to make with a leftover Roast Chicken Carcass, but it can also be made with some stock cubes or syn free cartoned broth/stock.
I made this Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup in the Instant Pot (check it out on amazon)
It is the best kitchen gadget I have purchased. I would even put it above my actifry and that's saying something. I love this thing so much, that I almost use it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
It seriously tops every kitchen appliance I have ever bought.
It is basically a 7in1 cooker, and it slow cooks, pressure cooks, saute's, has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge and even makes yoghurt (I haven't tried that yet).
Don't worry if you don't have an instant pot, this can also be cooked stove top.
This soup is also perfect for an SP or Original day on Slimming World and is paleo and Whole30 friendly.
Hey this Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup is so good you could actually turn it into a main meal by upping the chicken, add some additional vegetables and serving with some rice for a main meal.
Extra Easy - 2 syns per serving
Original/SP - 2 syns per serving
WW Smart Points - 3
- 600g of cubed butternut squash
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot - finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp of curry powder
- 720ml (3 cups) of homemade chicken bone broth (or chicken stock)
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup/240ml of coconut milk - 7.5 syns
- Salt and black pepper
- freshly chopped Coriander
- Spray oil
- Set Instant Pot to Saute Mode
- Spray with some spray oil
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and leek and fry for 5 mins to soften.
- Add in the butternut squash, curry powder and broth (stock)
- Set to manual - 15 mins high pressure
- Once cooked, open valve for a quick pressure release.
- Put soup into blender and blend till smooth
- Add back to the instant pot
- Set to saute mode
- Add in cooked chicken and coconut milk
- Stir till heated through (approx 5 mins)
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper
- Serve topped with fresh coriander
Stove top: Saute veg as directed in instructions, add butternut squash, curry powder and stock bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins, blend then add chicken and coconut milk and simmer till heated through, season as needed.
Variation: Add more chicken and vegetables and serve with rice for a yummy curry
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full