I love sauces made with butternut squash, especially on pasta. It’s a great way to get some vegetables into my fussy kids and it just tastes so creamy. The first time I used butternut squash as a pasta sauce was in my Spaghetti with Roasted Butternut Squash Sauce recipe and it was sooo good. Since then I have been meaning to make a creamy mac n cheese with a similar method, but it kind of got forgotten about it. Other recipes ideas came into my head and before you know it, quite a while haD past and I never got round to making it.
However, this week I had two butternut squash in the pantry and thought it would be good put to a new recipe. The sauce is amazing, I recommend using a good quality strong cheddar so you get that lovely cheesy taste and then combined with the butternut squash sauce it becomes velvety and creamy but without the added cream of course. My kids loved it, so it will make a great family meal.
I do recommend eating this straight away, so if you want it to serve less, just half up the ingredients.
Find me ON
come and follow me TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 300g (10.5oz) of uncooked pasta of choice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, mince
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- half a butternut squash, with seeds removed (weight of half should be approx 700g/24.5oz)
- 120g (4.3oz) of good quality strong cheddar (4xHEa’s)
- salt and black pepper
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c fan, 400f (gas mark 4)
- Season the half a butternut squash with salt, spray with oil on the flesh and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 45, till softened and slightly caramelized.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, place a deep saucepan over a medium heat and spray with some oil, add the onion and fry golden and softened. Add the garlic and fry for a just to infused the flavour.
- Scoop out all the butternut squash flesh and add to the pan, with a pinch of cayenne (optional) and the stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add to a blender and blend till smooth. (always be careful not to overfill blender with hot liquid).
- Bring a large saucepan of water (seasoned with salt) to a boil, add in the pasta and cook till al dente. Reserve about ⅓ cup (80ml) of the pasta water, once the pasta is cooked.
- Add the blended squash mixture back to the saucepan over a medium heat and stir in the cheese, once melted, reduce heat to low and stir in the pasta and reserved pasta water until silky and creamy. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa per serving
- WW Green Smart Points
- WW Blue Smart Points
- WW Purple Smart Points
- Gluten Free - use gluten free pasta and stock
Optional: Cooked crumbled bacon is a great addition to the top if not vegetarian.
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Wüsthof CLASSIC Santoku Knife
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Staub 28cm Cast Iron Chistera