This is one of my favorite lentil curry’s to make up in a big batch. It is great for freezing and because of the sweetness of the roasted butternut squash, my kids love it, so it’s a meal the whole family can enjoy.
I use the chunkier variety of lentils when making this, like brown or green lentils, you don't need to soak dried lentils overnight. You can used canned cooked lentils if you prefer, but I can buy a huge bag of dried lentils for such a cheap price, it's more budget friendly to buy the bags and you will get a lot more meals out of it too.
I am sure it would work with red lentil too if that's all you have, but would become more of a dhal type curry.
I like to serve this with my Zucchini and Rice Pilaf - but it will go well with a variety of different sides. I also like to add a spoonful of yoghurt to the top, but for a dairy free option, you could drizzle a little bit of coconut milk.
- 400g (14oz) butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup of green lentils, washed and rinsed
- 2 cups (480mls) of passata
- 3 cups (720mls) of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 2 tsp of chilli powder (or fresh red chilli, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- Spray oil
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
- Add butternut squash to a oven proof dish, spray over the top with Spray oil and roast in the oven till softened and golden. (approx 40 mins)
- Spray a large saucepan with spray oil and add the onion, garlic and ginger, cook until softened.
- Add all the spices to a mortar and pestle, along with a little bit of water and mix together.
- Add spices to onion, garlic and ginger mixture and stir to evenly coat.
- Add lentils, stock and passata, bring to the boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer for approx 45 mins.
- Add in the roasted butternut squash about 10 mins prior to serving time.
- Serve with your choice of side
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Amount Per Serving Calories 314Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 825mgCarbohydrates 59.1gFiber 23.1gSugar 12.4gProtein 18.2g