Garlic Greek Yoghurt Naan Bread - a basic dough using just a couple of ingredients to make the most delicious healthier buttery naan breads to accompany a variety of dishes for your Indian Fakeaway night.
Garlic Naan Bread
Whenever I make curry I always crave garlic naan bread. I think it's that combination of that buttery bread flavour to dip into your curry to mop up all that delicious sauce. Heavenly!!
A traditional garlic naan bread however can cost you a whole load of calories - around 300 to be exact, some even more than that depending on the size.
Greek Yoghurt Dough
If you have been healthy eating for a while and watching the calories, you have probably come across the popular Greek Yoghurt Dough. It generally uses equal volumes of self raising flour and yoghurt in cup measurements. I use plain flour in my recipe.
Also, if you don't measure accurately the dough just isn't the right consistency, because when it comes to baking especially bread, cakes etc those measurements need to be precise. So through trial and error of testing out my naan bread - these measurements are what I found to yield the best result.
I am not sure who the originally creator was of the yoghurt dough to credit (if anyone reads this and knows, please do let me know). I did try to find who it was, but if you google Greek Yoghurt dough you will get pages and pages of different recipes using the method. My version is of course an adaption on the original dough.
Ingredients for Garlic Greek Yoghurt Naan Bread.
In this recipe I use just some basic ingredients, which are
- Plain Flour (all purpose flour)
- Baking Powder
- Greek Yoghurt
- and lastly a little butter as well as spray oil.
Can I skip the butter?
I use a small amount of butter to brush the naans with the garlic and cilantro, it's not a huge amount of calories and you really don't get the same result/taste using just spray oil. (I tested both ways) and the butter definitely was the most popular in all who sampled.
I am a big believer in using a little bit of real ingredients, because this is a lifestyle changed and everything is fine in moderation.
However if you really want skip the butter than use spray oil. Just remember what I mentioned above.
Plain Naan Bread
Of course if you want plain naan bread, then you can skip the butter, garlic and cilantro all together.
But who doesn't love Garlic Naan Bread? Okay I know there will be some lol.
Do I have to use Greek Yoghurt?
Wondering if you can use regular yoghurt? the short answer is no. You need the thickness of Greek Yoghurt for the dough, regular plain yoghurt is too runny and won't yield the same result.
Can I use oats instead of flour?
I know this will be a commonly asked question if you are following Slimming World because oats a healthy extra b choice.
But unfortunately oats will not work in this recipe. Not unless you are making them as per my Ultimate Oat Pizza Crust recipe.
This is because you need the gluten in flour to be able to knead everything together and roll out into the naan breads. Oat dough is very sticky and wet.
Recipes to Pair with Garlic Naan Bread
Wondering what recipe to make serve with these Garlic Naan Breads? Well we have you covered on Slimming Eats with our amazing Indian Fakeaway Section.
So many delicious curry recipes like:
- Tarka Dhal
- Lamb Rogan Josh
- Chana Masala
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken Dupiaza
- Matar Paneer
- Tandoori Chicken
- Keema Curry
- Beef Dhansak
or head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
More than just Naan Breads
Don't just use for naan bread, with the butter/garlic these are also perfect for pizza bases, flatbreads for kebabs/kofa etc or for dipping in soup or spreading with your favourite spreads fillings for wraps/sandwiches
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 150g (5.3oz) of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 180g (6.4oz) of Fat Free Plain Greek Yoghurt (not Greek Style) - *see notes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- sea salt
- cooking oil spray
- Reserve a small amount of flour for dusting (about ¾ of a tablespoon) Combine the rest of the flour, baking powder and pinch of sea salt in a bowl
- Add the Greek Yoghurt (make sure you only add the thick yoghurt part, none of the natural liquid that sits on top) and 1 of the minced garlic cloves and mix with a silicone spatula until all ingredients combined and the sides of the bowl are clear (don't use hands for this part or the dough will stick to your hands). Once you have one big ball of dough, you can knead all together with hands before proceeding to the next steps.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls.
- Dust one ball of the dough with a little reserved flour - place in between wax paper or parchment paper. Then place a board or heavy saucepan on top and flatten down as much as you can into a flat circle.
- Then dust again and use a rolling pin to roll to naan bread shapes (Approx 5x7inches), transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
- Once all the naan breads are shaped. Heat a large frying pan (I like to use my cast iron pan for these, as you get the best result) over a medium high heat and spray with cooking oil spray.
- When the pan is hot, add the naan bread (you can cook 2 to 3 at a time depending on the size of your pan), cook each side for approx 3 minutes, until browned/golden areas like a traditional naan bread. Watch they don't burn by just lifting to check, you may need to lower your heat slightly.
- Once cooked melt the butter add the remaining minced garlic clove and finely chopped cilantro and brush this over the naan breads. I also like to add a pinch of sea salt to each one.
This recipe is Vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 5 syns per naan bread (4.5 without butter)
- WW Green Smart Points - 3 per naan bread
- WW Blue Smart Points - 3 per naan bread
- WW Purple Smart Points - 3 per naan bread
NOTE ABOUT YOGHURT: Ensure you are using proper Greek Yoghurt (like Fage, Oikos etc) for these not Greek Style yoghurt or natural and only add the thick yoghurt, not any liquid that sometimes sits on top of yoghurt (whey).
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING - freeze without the melted butter/garlic. To reheat I just add to a pan over a low heat until warm through and then brush on with the butter/garlic/cilantro.
These naan breads are also great for pizza bases, flatbreads for kebabs and so much more.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Lodge 30.48 cm/12 inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Round Skillet/Frying Pan
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Garlic Naan Bread
Amount Per Serving Calories 113Total Fat 1.3gSaturated Fat 0.7gCholesterol 2.6mgSodium 254mgCarbohydrates 20.1gFiber 0.6gSugar 1.1gProtein 5.6g