Chicken Dupiaza with Pilau Rice - create the perfect Indian takeaway meal at home with this delicious curry recipe using tender chicken thighs and double onions.
Indian Dupiaza (Dopiaza)
Dupiaza or Dopiaza means double onions and refers to a delicious curry recipe using a base of onion puree as well as additional onions for a delicious sauce that can be used with a variety of different meats or proteins.
It's a popular choice at Indian takeaways and restaurants across the UK and other parts of the word and is my favourite option to pick along with pilau rice.
Meat used in Dupiaza
In this recipe, I use tender pieces of boneless chicken thighs. I recommend chicken thighs over chicken breast, at they stay much more tender in the sauce and absorb a lot more flavour. Although you can use chicken breast if you prefer.
Other great options are lamb, goat, beef or prawns (shrimp). Lamb and chicken are definitely my go-to proteins whenever I make this dish.
Want to try this recipe but don't eat meat? There are lots of great ingredients you can add to this instead of meat to turn it into a delicious vegetarian dish.
A mixture of vegetables, cauliflower, butternut squash, broccoli, spinach, potatoes, eggplant (aubergine), zucchini (courgette), mushrooms etc is all great options.
Want to add some protein? Go for a vegetarian meat substitute like Quorn, or use canned chickpeas or beans.
Sides for Chicken Dupiaza
For me, I always like to serve this with simple pilau rice as shown with this recipe.
Some other great sides are:
as well as that there are heaps of delicious dishes to choose from in this Indian Fakeaway Section
More Curry Recipes
Do you want some more curry recipes to try? Check out these:
- BEEF AND POTATO CURRY
- COCONUT BEEF MEATBALL CURRY
- 4 INGREDIENT QUICK LENTIL CURRY
- BOMBAY BEEF CURRY
- CHICKEN AND CAULIFLOWER CURRY
- COCONUT CHICKEN AND LENTIL CURRY
- HEALTHY MATAR PANEER CURRY
- CHICKEN AND SPINACH CURRY
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Originally created on 8th April 2010 and updated on 24th March 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
For the Chicken Dupiaza
- 650g (22.9oz) boneless skinless chicken thighs (raw)
- 320ml (1.35 cups) of Chicken Stock
- 2 Teaspoons fresh grated Ginger
- 4 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of Chilli Powder (deggi mirch which is hot) *amount depends on how spicy you like it.
- 2 Teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 500g (17.5oz) of onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 80ml (⅓ cup) Fat-Free Natural Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree (paste)
- 2 tsp of ghee (4 syns)
For the pilau rice
- 1.5 cups (260g) of basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 0.5 teaspoon of turmeric
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 8 cloves
- salt to season
- 3 cups (720ml) of water
- cooking oil spray
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil and add half of the chopped onions (250g). Boil until soft, drain and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor. Set aside - this is your onion puree
- Heat a deep frying pan over medium-high heat, add the ghee until melted. Add in the remaining onion and carrots and fry for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and tomato paste (puree) and stir until paste-like. Add a little drop of water to prevent sticking if needed.
- Add the chicken thighs, and mix to coat with the paste.
- Pour in the stock and add the cardamom pods. Add in the onion puree and bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and simmer for 15-20 mins. The liquid should have reduced down into a thick gravy that coats the chicken. So if it is still liquidy, turn up the heat a little to allow it to bubble gently.
- Spoon some of the gravy into the yoghurt, to bring the yoghurt to room temp and then remove dupiaza from the heat and stir in the yoghurt.
- It is ready to serve with the pilau rice and any other choice of sides.
- Spray a deep frying pan with some cooking oil spray, add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add in the rice, turmeric, pinch of salt, cloves and cardamom pods and stir until all coated.
- Pour the water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, add a lid, turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes. Do no stir through the whole cooking process.
- Once ready to serve, stir through some chopped coriander (cilantro).
For the Chicken Dupiaza
For the Pilau Rice:
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 syn per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 12 per serving (or 9 if using shrimp or chicken breast) - 5 per serving if you serve with cauliflower rice
- Blue WW Smart Points - 12 per serving (or 9 if using shrimp or chicken breast) - 5 per serving if you serve with cauliflower rice
- Purple WW Smart Points - 12 per serving (or 9 if using shrimp or chicken breast) - 5 per serving if you serve with cauliflower rice
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
- Dairy Free - use oil of choice instead of ghee and omit the yoghurt
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING (WITH PILAU RICE)
Amount Per Serving Calories 497Total Fat 9.1gSaturated Fat 3.1gCholesterol 116mgSodium 608mgCarbohydrates 71.3gFiber 4.3gSugar 7.6gProtein 36.9g