Healthy Butter Chicken - the ultimate low syn Slimming World Indian Fakeaway dish, with healthy delicious ingredients that don't compromise on flavour.
Healthy Indian Fakeaways
I love Indian food, it's one of my favourite take-out choices and has been since I was a little girl. I can still remember my first meal at an Indian restaurant. My dad used to a do a lot of work at Indian and Chinese restaurants, so I was accustomed to that kind of food from a very young age.
Below are some of my own versions of those first dishes I tried.
or head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
Lighter Butter Chicken
When creating my own version of the popular Butter Chicken, I really thought hard about the ingredients I was going to use and how I was going to cook it. I wanted to make sure it really had all those amazing flavours you expect in Butter Chicken while still keep the syn relatively low.
You will find an additional ingredient in my Butter Chicken that you won't find in your typical recipe and that is some butternut squash. It may seem like an odd addition, but trust me when I say it works. You only use just a small amount, so it won't overpower the sauce. Instead, it makes the sauce lovely and creamy and gives that subtle sweetness without having to add additional synned ingredients to get the perfect Butter Chicken.
Do I have to use Butter in Butter Chicken?
You may be tempted to skip the butter in this recipe to try and keep it syn free But honestly? you can't have Butter Chicken without butter, it just takes that sauce to a whole other level and is worth the small amount of syns per serving.
Use real butter though and not low fat spreads or margarines as most low fat spreads are not really able to be heated and melted like real butter and can end up making your sauce look weird.
Using Butternut Squash in Recipes
I use butternut squash often in recipes for adding subtle sweetness without having to use things like sugar etc. It works perfectly in my Chinese Chicken Curry and No Added Sugar Baked Beans as well as this Creamy Butternut Pasta Sauce and Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.
The best thing of all is that butternut squash is a speed food, so use it as often as you can to add some speed foods to your plate. It's one of my favourite vegetables to roast just with a little bit of cooking oil spray, salt and paprika - yum!!
Low Carb Sides for Curry
There are of course some speed foods in the sauce to this amazing butter chicken, but if you want to add some additional speed foods, try serving this with my delicious Roasted Cauliflower Rice instead of regular rice.
I really prefer to roast my cauliflower rice instead of steam or microwaving, it gives it a much nicer flavour.
Sides for Butter Chicken
Wondering what other sides you can have with butter chicken? Well of course any of my Indian Fakeaway recipes are perfect.
But just some simple cooked basmati rice is the best if you are not trying to eat lower carb. If you struggle to cook rice perfectly, there really is a simple fool-proof way and that is the 2-1 method.
This means however much rice you are cooking you always want double the amount of liquid, either water or for some flavour stock.
Rinse your rice until running water until it runs clear, then add to a saucepan. So for example I normally add 1 cup of uncooked rice for 4 people, then add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until the liquid is just absorbed, turn off heat, and leave with lid on untouched for 10 minutes. The steam trapped underneath will perfectly cook your rice. So after it has been left for the 10 minutes, remove lid and fluff with a fork.
|Come and follow me on:|
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
For the Chicken and Marinade:
- 600g (21oz) of uncooked boneless chicken breast, diced
- 130g (½ cup) of fat free plain yoghurt (not Greek)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of Indian chilli powder (Kashmiri)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of lemon
For the sauce:
- 160g (5.7oz) of onion, diced
- 160g (5.7oz) of butternut, diced small (or grated)
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger root
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of Indian Chilli powder (Kashmiri) (if you prefer more heat, you can adjust to your spice level)
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of chicken stock
- 1 cup (250g) of passata
- 2 tablespoons of butter (for cooking the chicken)
- cooking oil spray
- fresh chopped coriander
- salt to season
- Mix together the yoghurt and spices and lemon juice for the chicken together in a bowl then add the chicken and marinade in the fridge overnight (or 4 hours at least)
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat, add the onion and fry until softened, add the garlic, ginger and chilli powder and fry for a further 30 seconds. Add in the butternut squash and stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer until butternut squash is soft (approx 12-15 minutes).
- Transfer to a blender with the 250g of passata and blend until smooth
- Melt the butter in the frying pan over a medium high heat, add the chicken in the yoghurt marinade to the pan using tongs in an even layer (if your pan is not big enough) do this in two batches, using 1 tablespoon of the butter at a time.
- As it starts to go golden underneath, flip over and brown the other side of the chicken, being carefully not to move it about the pan too much as you brown.
- Once the chicken is all lightly golden, pour in the blended sauce and simmer for 10 minutes, sauce should look lovely and velvety and chicken cooked.
- Taste sauce and season as needed with sea salt
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten-free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2.5 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 3 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 3 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
ADDITIONAL NOTES: If you can't find Kashmiri or Indian Chilli Powder, then use cayenne it is place, but it can be very hot if you are used to a milder chilli powder. So you may need adjust to your taste.
Do not use margarine or low fat butter spreads, this recipe needs real butter and is worth it - trust me!!!
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING* - fully defrost in fridge and reheat in a pan or microwave until hot throughout.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
Wüsthof CLASSIC Santoku Knife
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Vitamix Explorian Blender
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 511Total Fat 6.4gSaturated Fat 3.7gCholesterol 107mgCarbohydrates 57.6gFiber 12.7gSugar 30.1gProtein 46.9g