Creamy Pork Casserole - tender pieces of pork loin in a rich creamy tomato sauce with mushrooms and butternut squash.
Creamy Tomato Sauce for Casserole
I love a good ole casserole, but it has to have a good sauce or gravy. So when I had some pork loins that needed to be used up, I had a real craving for a yummy creamy tomato sauce. The kind of sauce you can literally eat on its own with a spoon.
This sauce does not disappoint and has so much flavour from the added vegetables such as butternut squash and mushrooms. The butternut squash adds a lovely natural sweet taste and removes some of the acidity of the canned tomatoes. Perfect!!
Best Cut of Pork for Casseroles
So you may be wondering what is the best cut of pork to use for a pork casserole. Well, my favourite is Boneless Pork Loin Rib Chops, they really absorb all that flavour in the sauce and stay nice and tender.
Other cuts that are good for this are:
- Chump End/Chops
- Tenderloin or Leg
- Pork Shoulder
Just be aware that you need to trim off any visible fat to keep it syn free and some cuts are much fattier than others.
Can I use other meat or protein?
That's a great question and if you don't like pork, this works just as well with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken breasts will work too, but I prefer to use thighs in casserole dishes as the meat stays much more tender and absorbs more flavour.
Hey, you could even use some fillets of white fish in this creamy sauce or even prawns (shrimp).
Just be aware that whatever you choose for your protein base it may have a slightly shorter cooking time than the pork.
You could even make this vegetarian, by adding in quorn pieces or something like chickpeas or cannelini beans instead of meat. Yum!!
Sides for Creamy Pork Casserole
You may be wondering what sides work well with this casserole dish. Some of my favourites are:
- Crushed Roast Potatoes
- Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Sour Cream and Spring Onion Mashed Cauliflower
- Perfect Oven Baked Chips
- Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges
and if you are wondering on some choice for a vegetable side, a few of my favourites are:
- Fresh Baby Spinach
- Sauted Shredded Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Cauliflower
- ROSEMARY ROASTED POTATOES, PARSNIPS, CARROTS AND ONION
- MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Can I use Quark instead of Cream Cheese?
It's a question I see often and there are a few things to consider.
Quark is much more sour tasting that cream cheese (like Philadelphia) so you won't get that yummy creamy taste with quark.
Secondly, quark doesn't cope well with heat, unlike cream cheese which melts into a creamy goodness. If you overheat the quark it will split resulting in a not very pleasant looking sauce.
Lastly, it really isn't that many syns for the amount of cream cheese used when you divide up into portions.
That aside if you really can't bear to use up some syns, be all means use quark, just take into account what I have mentioned above.
I recommend spooning some of the sauce into the quark to slowly warm up and never use straight from the fridge. Then remove the pan from the heat when you stir in the quark into the whole dish.
Originally created on the 26th January 2012 and updated on the 31st March 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 800g (28oz) of Boneless Pork Loin Rib Chops (remove visible fat), sliced into smaller pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150g (5.5oz) of cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 250g (9oz) of butternut squash, peeled and cubed small
- ½ tbs of paprika (not smoked)
- pinch of mixed herbs
- 400g (14oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp of tabasco sauce
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese (7.5 syns)
- cooking oil spray
- Salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped Italian Parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 180c (fan 160c) or 350f, gas mark 4
- Spray a cast-iron casserole pan or ovenproof deep frying pan with some cooking oil spray. Lightly brown the pieces of pork in batches, seasoning with salt and black pepper as you do and remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and fry until softened, use a little bit of the stock to deglaze the pan and stop any sticking, scraping up any food that is stuck to the bottom.
- Add in the mushrooms and continue to fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the garlic, butternut squash, mixed herbs and paprika, and stir to coat.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, tabasco and chicken stock
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted.
- Add in the pieces of pork ensuring they are fully covered with the sauce.
- Place in the oven covered and bake for 40 minutes, remove the lid for the last 15 minutes
- Top with some freshly chopped Italian parsley
- Taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with your choice of sides
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latest 3pc Plastic Measuring Jug Set - Large 4-Cup (1 Litre), 2-Cup (500ml) and Small 1-Cup (250 ml) - Microwave Safe - Clear, Easy to Read Measurements - Cook with Accuracy
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Shallow Casserole, 26 cm - Teal
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 314Total Fat 15.1gSaturated Fat 4.5gCholesterol 117mgSodium 704mgCarbohydrates 15.1gFiber 3.5gSugar 7.5gProtein 43.1g