Delicious Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs with a Rich Onion Gravy
Extra Lean Ground meat can often be a bit dry because of the low fat content, especially poultry ground meats. However adding the mushrooms and parmesan to these chicken meatballs, keeps them juicy and moist in the amazing rich onion sauce.
I oven bake these Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs for first and then finish them off in the sauce. I find that the perfect way to keep there lovely round shape and get a nice even colour.
To form the meatballs, I finely chop the mixture in my Nutri Ninja Food Processor with Auto IQ technology and then add it into the ground meat. You can finely chop with a knife though if you don't have something similar. I find for fussy kids the chopping really fine means I can hide the mushrooms in the meatballs without them even realizing.
I also blend the gravy once it has been simmered in the Nutri Ninja Food Blender with Auto IQ technology too, before adding it back to the pan, it makes the gravy lovely a smooth. A stick blender should work fine though.
I like to serve these Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs with these Mashed Potatoes - which go perfectly with the yummy gravy. But they would also go great with this Sweet Potato Mash or Cauliflower Mash for a SP day.
If mash is not your thing, then serve the Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs with these Crushed Roast Potatoes.
You can omit the cheese from these, they are still as tasty. I have done them both ways in the past. You can even serve the meatballs just as they are without the gravy, they make a great taster food or appetizer.
These are also gluten free so perfect for anyone with a gluten intolerance.
Wondering what vegetables to serve these with? I sautéed some onions, mushrooms and green pepper which was just perfect with the Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, but they would go well with a variety of different sides. Check out these side dish recipes for inspiration.
Looking for some more sweet recipes to try? – Previously on Slimming Eats
- 1 month ago: Mustard Beef with Mushrooms
- 2 months ago: Thai Spiced Chicken
- 3 months ago: One Pot Shrimp Pasta
- 4 months ago: Beef and Vegetable Casserole
- 5 months ago: Mediterranean Chicken Casserole
- 6 months ago: Maple Glazed Chicken
with many more recipes in my full Recipe Index
- For the Meatballs:
- 600g (210z) of extra lean chicken mince (use extra lean turkey mince if you can’t get this)
- 200g (7oz) of mushrooms (I used baby portobello)
- 90g (3oz) of freshly grated parmesan
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 handful of fresh Italian Parsley
- Spray oil
- For the Sauce:
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
For the Meatballs:
- Add to a mini food processor, the mushrooms, parsley, parmesan and garlic and process until roughly chopped.
- Add to large bowl with the extra lean chicken mince
- Mix together well to combine
- Form into 24 meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Spray over the top with spray oil
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Remove and set aside
For the Sauce:
- Spray a deep frying pan with some spray oil, add the onion and fry to soften for approx 5 mins.
- Add the garlic and thyme, balsamic vinegar and a little bit of the stock and continue to fry until the stock reduces down and the onions are nice a caramelized.
- Add the tomato paste and remaining stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add the gravy to a blender and blend till smooth
- Pour the gravy back into the frying pan, and add the meatballs.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 216Total Fat 8.2gSaturated Fat 3.8gCholesterol 90mgSodium 436mgCarbohydrates 5.7gFiber 1.3gSugar 1gProtein 28.8g