Delicious sautéed mushrooms with garlic that are the perfect packed with flavour side dish for a variety of main dishes.
Delicious Lighter Sautéed Mushrooms
One thing that can be hard to accomplish when trying to cook lower calories is tasty sautéed food. Spray oils don't always cut it, as the food tends to be dry unless you are using a good amount of spraying. I have an awesome tip for getting that lovely sauté flavour without the need for lots of oil. The key is broth or stock and the finished result is almost like they have been cooked in heaps of butter.
Utterly delicious and the perfect accompaniment to things like eggs, steak or chicken etc.
How to Sauté Vegetables with Stock
The key to sautéing vegetables with stock instead of oil, is to heat the vegetables in a pan on a medium high heat and add a little bit of stock in at a time, as that bit reduces down, you can add in a little more and repeat until the vegetables take are lovely and golden,
Don't rush the cooking, as otherwise you vegetables can end up looking a bit anaemic and the beauty of this technique is that lovely colour you get to the vegetables, as well as that added flavour
It's a similar process to a risotto and works so well. I learnt this trick many years ago now and use it often. Although this recipe is for Sautéed Mushrooms, this technique will work for most veg. It is great for browning onions, celery and carrots for the base of a sauce. Achieve delicious sautéed cabbage or kale and one of my favs French Green Beans, taste so amazing cooked this way, I could literally just each a plate of those on their own.
Best Mushrooms for Sautéing
Any kind of mushrooms work fine for this method. I like to use white button mushrooms, as they are just the perfect size when sliced in half.
Cremini Mushrooms are another favourite and they have a more brown colour, then of course there are portobello caps which you can slice and King Oyster Mushrooms (those are so good for Asian inspired recipes etc).
Once cooked I like to sprinkle with a little fresh Italian parsley, as the green makes them look so pretty. You can leave it out if you prefer. These mushrooms are also gluten and dairy free and vegetarian friendly if you use a vegetable stock.
It's hard to believe these haven't been cooked in loads of butter or oil - they taste amazing!!!
More Mushroom Recipes
Looking for some other mushrooms recipes? Check out these:
- Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
- Pulled Mushrooms with BBQ Sauce
- Sweet Potato and Mushroom Curry (Stove Top or Instant Pot)
- Mustard Beef with Mushrooms
- Sticky Sriracha Mushroom Omelette
- One Pot Creamy Ham Mushroom Orzo
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more..
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 400g of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced (depending on how much garlic flavour you like)
- salt and black pepper
- approx 1 cup (240ml) of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a couple minutes then add in the garlic
- Start adding in a little bit of the stock at a time
- Once the stock reduces down, add a little more
- Keep doing this process until the mushrooms are lovely and golden.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Serve with your choice of Main (great with eggs, steak, chicken and more)
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 57Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 666mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 8g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.