Portobello Mushroom Pizzas - the perfect recipe for those pizza cravings, just add sauce, toppings of choice and cheese.
Nothing worse than those moments when you fancy pizza, only to remember you e, so can't use the usual tortilla or pita bread options for your base.
That's when a Portobello Mushroom Cap is a perfect choice for your favourite pizza toppings, and they take hardly any time or effort to make too.
Best part of all is mushrooms are a vegatable. So you really do not need any more excuses to make these Amazing Portobello Mushroom Pizzas.
Portobello Caps need a little prep before turning into a Portobello Mushroom Pizza, but it really doesn't take long at all, once you get used to removing the black gill part.
I just use a regular spoon and remove the stems (keep those, as you can chop them up to saute) and then gently scrap of the black gills with the spoon.
For the pizza sauce, you can either make the sauce as per the recipe or if you have some of this delicious Pizza sauce made up, that is perfect too. Hey, you could even use some of this barbecue sauce if you want a barbecue chicken type of pizza. Just think of all those variations you can try:
BELOW IS A FEW SUGGESTIONS FOR OTHER TOPPINGS FOR YOUR PORTOBELLA MUSHROOM PIZZA:
- MARGHERITA: pizza sauce, topped with chopped fresh basil and mozzarella
- HAWAIIAN: pizza sauce, topped with ham, fresh pineapple and mozzarella
- BBQ CHICKEN: use my bbq sauce for the topping and add cooked chicken, red onion slithers and mozzarella
- PULLED PORK: Leftover stove top pulled pork with sauce, green peppers, red onion and mozzarella
- PEPPERONI: pizza sauce, topped with pepperoni, oregano and mozzarella
- GARLIC MUSHROOM: Garlic Mushrooms (as on recipe) topped with mozzarella and fresh chopped parsley
- MEAT FEAST: pizza sauce with sausage, ham, lean bacon, green peppers, onion, olives and mozzarella
- VEGGIE: pizza sauce, mushrooms, tomato slices, onion, grilled zucchini, red onion, corn and mozzarella
- INDIAN STYLE: leftover chicken curry topped with mozzarella and chopped coriander
- GREEK: pizza sauce, roasted veggies and feta
I just went for some sliced smoked chicken sausage and black olive slices along with finely chopped onion for a super quick topping choice.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to these Portobello Mushroom Pizzas?
Well, that's something you really don't need to worry about with these Portobello Mushroom Pizzas, seeing as the base is mushroom a delicious veggie. So you could even pair these with some Chips and a salad, which will be more than another vegetable. Go for a nice mixed salad of your choice or if you want a more filling meal you could add some of these Butternut Squash Chips too.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make these Portobello Mushroom Pizzas?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Baking Tray
- Frying Pan
- Parchment Paper
Find me ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER | and YOUTUBE, come and follow me TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES 🙂
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Portobello Mushroom Pizza | Slimming Eats
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, and Weight Watchers friendly.
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms Caps
- ½ small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ⅓ cup (80ml) of passata
- ⅓ cup (80ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of Italian parsley
- 50g of mozzarella
- cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper
- Toppings (these can be varied)
- 1 smoked chicken sausage
- 2 tbs of sliced black olives
- chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f (gas mark 4)
- Remove stalks from mushrooms (don't throw away these can be sauteed for another use), carefully remove gills with a spoon.
- Spray mushrooms with cooking oil spray and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment (you want the remove gill side facing down)
- Bake for 10 mins.
- While baking, fry the onion and garlic in a frying pan with some cooking oil spray over a medium high heat until softened, add the passata, stock, tomato paste, oregano and parsley and simmer to reduce down to a thicker pizza sauce.
- When the mushrooms have baked for 10 mins. Turn over on the baking sheet, add the pizza sauce, mozzarella and choice of toppings and place bake in the oven and back for an about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and is golden.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Total Fat 13.5gSaturated Fat 5.6gCarbohydrates 16.5gFiber 4.2gSugar 5.7gProtein 23.6g
victoria Imrie says
Made this last night, so good! Pizza is one of the things I have been missing most, and this managed to fill the gap.
Thank you :- )